hi

hi

Monday, January 24, 2011

research it!

Woke up to a text at 9:30ish from Madeline asking where the thesis meeting was. Thankfully that text reminded me that there was a meeting, which was in the Stevens. Another group thing where we all got together and Linda gave us the run down for the next semester. I threw clothes on, stuffed my hair under a hat, and set out. Thank god for living 10 blocks from campus.

Still got there with time to spare. Might have had time to shower...

We got another thick thesis packet with instructions and tips and schedules and rules for Thesis Defense. She gave us a 50 minute talk on the calender and set up and rules and how at first sign of trouble we should talk to her and how there is no shame in delaying thesis a semester. I ain't gonna though.

It was a good little run down. Afterwards I went home. Showered. Made a scramble. Put the clothes I threw on in the morning back on. Looked at my schedule. Tended to stuff. Did the dishes. I'm so close to being done with Game of Thrones! I am so utterly hooked.

Soon it was time to head back to school for class. I uploaded a .pdf of my thesis abstract. In my school mail box was a wonderful little card and book from Chad. It was his promotional mailer thingie...thing. A Bruegel inspired story book. What a lovely present. I sat in class early and worked on my calender some more, filling some things in with pen. My teacher is the highly recommended Joan Handwerg. In my class is Antonia, Nico, Portia, Mel, James J, Ali, Robin, Beth, Jennifer H, and Dominic. A good group. In the class we will focus on research and writing a 20 page thesis research paper. I don't know quite what I'm trying to argue yet. Friendship is good? Anyway, we will be doing a lot of readings and stuff and writing. 20 very concise pages. I remember when I started at PNCA, I heard it was something like a 60 page paper. I guess it is our job to psyche out the underclassmen?

We will be meeting Joan one on one in the coming week. Just to show her our art and talk about stuff. We got out early, so I went home.

I pulled out my notebook and got to sorting out my seven mantras. I'm up to six. Some of the themes are hard to nail down in one word. I made a few pages of maps and thought webs and just free form writing. It is actually quite helpful, I think. Getting a lot of words and areas and directions to go to. And it isn't psyching me out to do. Right now my calender is dominated by sorting out these mantras. And once I sort them out, and the over arching themes, the uniting themes, then I can get to the visuals. The themes are the foundation. The ideas I want to get at. Themes of community, self reflection & worth, friendship, and other things. Tomorrow is a busy day. Sort of. It is a lot of little things. Thinking. Thought webbing. Trying to narrow things down. Mantras. Themes. Thumbnails. Reading. Figuring out what I want to say in the printed essays. One half of my project is what I'm going to say on the folding out of the poster, but I'm sort of at a loss for what I want to say. Oops. Well, that is what I'll be a thinking about tomorrow. And sketching. And proposing yoga. I think I'll tidy up my studio as well. It's been untended and piling of stuff. No room to work and I'll be needing to work there.

Worked on thought web while watching House. Worked on portraits and inking portraits while watching Lie to Me. Only half watching. A good chunk of that show can just be listened to, which I did from my room as I pulled up references for portraits. I'm really excited about tomorrows.

Todays Portrait Is: Nathalie Heizenrader.

No comments: