hi

hi

Thursday, January 27, 2011

enabled and slathered

And now my inconsequential school week comes to a close. While Kristen was in the shower, I prepared a nice lunch for myself. Benefit of so little class days: don't have to buy lunch hardly ever! So I made up a tuna sandwich and filled a baggie with almond slices and a couple of the sweets from Trader Joe's. Go me!

The first half, the pre lunch, section of class was a discussion of website and the syllabus. Then we looked over our sketches. There are some really cool pieces that seem to be happening in these sketches. The assignment was to art direct one another. So pieces that played to our strengths while also challenged us. It's quite cool. During the lunch break I showed Danny how to kern in Photoshop. Then I ate my sandwich and watched an episode of Bob's Burgers with Jeff. After lunch we walked down to the Museum of Contemporary Craft for the Era Report show. I was mostly caught up with the book exhibit, that had Anthony Roberto's amazing thesis in it. There was also a book that if you read every other word....it was quite scandalous.

The curator of the Era Report show was there and he gave a little talk. He was a nice fellow. Looked very much like a "character". I stuck around a bit to look at the books and then walked back to school. Texting mom.

I was trying to get mom to talk me out of henna dying my hair. Tried to get her to give me a lecture in not being impulsive. All she said was to go for it! I talked to Karen, who told me to go for it as well. So when I got home, Kristen and I walked up to Lush to pick up the henna. I went for the Caca Marron color, which was to be an auburn shade. It comes in this brick. They didn't have any spare gloves so they gave me some freebies to make up for it (like the balm and a leave in conditioner). I had some gloves at home, so no worries. Kristen dyed her hair (with drugstore dye) first. While I worked on breaking up 5/6's of the brick into little bits. Hammered and grated and crushed. Took a good while. Then I put the bits in a heat resistant bowl and covered them with boiling water. Let that sit. Mixed it up. Then I put that bowl in a larger bowl filled with boiling water, so that it heated up further. When it was hot enough, and with MUCH help from Kristen, I slathered it on my hair. It was gritty and drippy and oh what a mess. It was all over the sink. I then wrapped my hair up into a saran wrap turban. And waited....I worked on the dishes. The henna kept seeping down my face. Had to constantly wipe it off my face. If my hands were not such a mess, I have have been inclined to take a picture.

After about an hour, I washed my hair. Then as I was hair drying, I blew a fuse. Went down to Ace Hardware and bought some. Returned. Replaced one. Then when there was light I saw how fantastic my hair really was! It was perfectly subtle. A nice auburn tint. Really nice. All though now the smell is giving me a bit of a headache. But damn if it isn't worth it. Sort of.

Anyway. Watched Community. Another sort of "meh" episode. Come on, you can do better Community. Ate some microwaved stuff for dinner. Now to work on thesis stuff. Got a Martin meeting tomorrow.

Todays Portrait Is: Jennifer Stark.

No comments: