hi

hi

Saturday, January 29, 2011

arvey & melissa








Got up early, well got up at the usual time of around 10, because Karen was taking me to Arvey paper! It was a giant place for reems of different papers. I needed to check out paper for my thesis and figure out what I am to print on. It was a nice bright day. Threw on my new shoes. Karen picked me up and off we went to the magical land of paper. Since I'm not picking "art" paper for my thesis, that is to say "archival", I have the benefit of ordering reems. I just needed to pick up some samples to test on. I needed to test how a sheet would react to say, three layers of screenprinting ink with double sided printing. And I needed to see how it folded. Didn't want to buy a ton of paper only to find out the paper was crap.

So I looked at paper. And then looked at a paper sample book. And then talked to the guy and found out how much a big thing of the paper would be. Went "EGADS" and he directed me to the paper I could buy by the sheet. So I grabbed a sample of each type, even though I knew I wouldn't be printing on some of them. It is good to know. I also bought some little tags to make business cards out of. Karen and I wandered over to this craft store to look at stuff, but there wasn't much to look at.

At Mazatlan we grabbed lunch. I had a chimichonga. We discussed "the system" and anarchy and stuff like that. We swung by my place, where I grabbed some of my reading, and went down to school. I figured that since I had the time I might as well be productive.

So Karen, Carla, Heather, and BT were there working on restretching screens (the process of pulling fabric taut and then gluing it to a metal frame). BT mainly tore the screens off, while Karen learned how to do it. I applied emulsion to a screen and got some stuff ready to print. Mainly just samples. Something small, something big and flat. Just some sort of printing to mimic the type of printing that I would do. So I would print that on the paper samples I had, so that I could see how the paper reacts to the printing and also how it folds with the printed matter.

So I got the screen ready to go and I printed and it printed well. And folded well. The thicker stuff, while it takes the paper really well it is a problem to fold because it is so stiff. And the stuff that is easy to fold because the paper is so thin doesn't take the ink well. But there was a perfect medium and that was the Mohawk Bright White 70 pound paper. Now I just need to order it. Though that can wait a little bit. It was actually next weekend that I was scheduled to go paper shopping, so now I'm ahead in one part of the project.

After that I went to my studio. Dom and I put our heads together on this little packet of hard difficult really big questions that Joan gave us. I don't know how to answer so many of them. But we got a start on it. And it was good because we could converse with one another and ask questions. Then I walked home, as Karen had been my ride and she had left earlier. Gave me time to listen to my audiobook. Kristen and her family left for dinner right as I got back. I decided to blog the day between my day and going to Melissa's birthday. When I get back, I'll fill in the rest of my details.

*****

Arrived at Oasisba, this Thai food fusion cuisine place, in celebration of Melissa. There was a reservation for 10 people and I was the 9th to show up. Melissa, Mel, Cidney, Phil, Robin, Sohkun, Travis, and Karen were already there. Oasisba used to be Sweet Basil Thai or something, but it changed owners. Now it is run by Drag Queens. So the wait staff is in drag, and every now and again they would sing and dance and frolic. It was AWESOME. Melissa was even brought up on stage for a number. Oh what a show. I had the special mojito. It was delicious. I had the avocado larb for dinner (in retrospect I wasn't that hungry and should have just stuck with the drink and had an appetizer at Rogue later). It wasn't quite larb as I like it. It was good just not what I was expecting. Shrimp was good. The food in general was fantastic. The location is kinda crummy. I think the word hasn't gotten out that there is a DRAG THAI FOOD PLACE. The word needs to get out.

From there we went to Rogue. I bought Melissa the John John Dead Guy Ale. I just had water and sipped from a few other people's beer. I'd already spent enough money dining out for the day. Way more that I should have, but I'll allow it because it was a special occasion and now that I'm not at school for long stretches, I'll be eating less bought lunches. Some people left between Oasisba and Rogue, and some more people (Mike, Shelby, Zaneta, uhm three other girls) joined us. From there we went to Red Cap. I just bought the birthday girl a jello shot. I only had like, two bucks in cash on me and didn't feel like dealing with a tab. I left at around midnight. Wasn't feelin' it. Red Cap is a little bit loud and dancing for my taste. Plus I think I'll get up early tomorrow, as I have a bunch of stuff to read and write. And I might hang out with Rollyn for a bit....so if I'm going to be social I need to be productive and if I'm going to be productive I can't drunk walk home at 3am.

Still, it was fun seeing Cidney and fun seeing Melissa enjoy her 21st immensely. So many free shots for that poor little lady. I hope she fairs well tomorrow. Mel will take care of her. It was a nice night out, even though I was all responsible and stuff. No fun till May now. Bleehh. It's all serious and work work work from here on out.

Todays Portrait Is: Eva Ashford.

No comments: