hi

hi

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Stumptown Comics Fest (or OCTOPUSES GALORE!!)


Yeah so today was the first day of the two day Stumptown Comics Fest. I'm not going tomorrow, had enough UBER FUN today. Highlights: $2 comics at the Oni table, Shannon Wheeler, meeting Christopher Mitten and octopuses EVERYWHERE! Also not going tomorrow because I spent about $20 too much (but it was spent supporting indie people so I don't feel bad. I never buy things at cons and fests that I could buy elsewhere (except for the $2 comics)). But it was great, really close and comfy and lots of super nice people.

I planned to set out at 10, left at about 10:20. Was going to walk to the Max stop in fareless and then just decided to pay for the ticket and got on at the stop in Goose Hollow. Turns out this weekend they are closing down a chunk of the Max line for construction. Course they couldn't do that without giving us options so the shuttle but took us across the bridge lickety split (probably faster than the Max). Got right on the Max again and went to Lloyd and thought, "crap is this where I get off?" But I didn't scoot off in enough time to follow through on the possibility of it being my stop, but luckily for me the next stop was right outside the front door for the Comics Fest so it worked out great!

The fest was only $5 to get in, and was relatively uncrowded when I got there. Did a look checking out everything. I didn't want to browse everything serious during the first walk through because that's how I would end up spending all my money (gotta be specific!). Made my way to the back where Jim's table was but Jim wasn't there, only his friend. So I went back. Ran into Karen at the Oni table and then we saw the prices on the scuffed comics. $2 each or 6 for $10. I got the first volume of Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (it wasn't scuffed it was just on sale) and the first two volumes of Wet Moon. Karen was buying two comics and they said we might as well buy six between us and save some dough so she picked up this Marquis de Something that we both went "ooohh" at the line art in. Shes holding onto it for now, sort of a trade off thing I guess. We parted ways after that, I'll see her Monday. Jason from Floating World Comics had a table. Lots of neat things, but nothing I couldn't just go and buy later.


Octopuses at the Fest:
One girl had this really cute style, big eyes and brilliant colors. One of her prints had this girl with an octopus draped over her. I didn't want to outright buy the print so I bought her postcard collection instead, which had more variety so that was cooler. Plus I don't really have room for lots of prints right now.

Talked to these guys from San Fransisco (at their table). Actually I came to their table several times throughout the day, they were really cute and sweet and I was bummed to find out they were not from around here. The red-head drew an octopus next to his autograph in one of the comics I bought from him (I had previously complimented him on his octopus art in a poster he was selling). The other guy did a quick sketch and wrote "hugs and kisses" next to it. Tee hee.

I bought a mini figurine from this nice lady. She had these two molds; one was a mutant chicken that had a mini-comic accompanying it and the other was an octopus attacking the space ship. You can figure out which one I bought.


Panels:
Carol Lay, Shannon Wheeler (with Stacey Murdock) and Matt Wagner were the major guests at the Fest. I only saw Matt Wagner, I didn't talk to him (I'm not familiar with his work). I love Carol Lay and Shannon Wheeler so I was just tickled that I talked to both of them in person.

Carol Lay's panel was a little under attended which sorta made me sad but I think shes the type that's loved by people that know her work but she isn't so much out there as other cartoonists. She advised me to be bold. And I shook her hand. WHOO!!! Didn't get a picture with her but I'm happy having met her.

Shannon Wheeler and Stacey Murdock did a panel about the Too Much Coffee Man opera. And there is going to be a second one which I will try my darndest to see (just gotta remember to buy tickets around December for the show which is in April). I had a good laugh. Stacey Murdock plays Too Much Coffee Man in the opera and he sung a little from it, quite brilliant. Afterwords at their table they autographed a postcard for the show for me. Booyah!


Autographables:
The first comic I bought was Kazimir Strzepek's The Mourning Star. He was really nice to talk to and warm and friendly. Generally if people were approachable and nice I was more inclined to buy their stuff. Plus he was downright adorable! The comic has great art and I look forward to reading it. He doodled in it and wrote "Thanks Trillian! Hope to read one of your comics sometime! ♥ Kazimir."

Camilla D'errico autographed the postcard book for me.

I chatted at length with John C. Worsley about materials and methods and how he produces his work. he was doing live digital drawing and it was cool seeing his process. He had two issues of his comics and they were both bound really nicely and you could buy the set for $5 so I went for it. His autograph was a simple thanks with his squiggle autograph.

Christopher Mitten was one of several artists at the lengthy Oni table. One guy earlier, a writer, he was nice but I just didn't feel like talking to him right then and there (he apparently works at Floating World Comics on Monday so I'll see him again most likely). The thing that caught my eye about Mitten was Wasteland. It is one of those comics I keep seeing around, on shelves and store fronts. It is a very distinct cover and I said this to him, that it was sort of lurking around. I flipped through his portfolio and asked him about his comic methods and whatnot (he has really nice ink skills). I gave in to fate and got the first volume of Wasteland interpreting it as a sign I must buy it because it keeps showing up (same thing happened for Palahniuk's Rant). When he was autographing it we got to talking about my name. I boasted it being the queen of nerd names and how I once heard a dad refer to his daughter as Arwen. Mitten teased me a little saying Arwen was more nerdy than Trillian. Once I finish Wasteland I'll email him an apology for the name I called him. He signed the book, "To Trillian, Thanks for following the signs! Christopher."

The last guy I talked to, Jeremy Tinder, he had a whole comic about all the mean things he has done. I would read a snippet and look up at him in shock or with a slight glare. Hilarious in the end, I bought the little mini meanness-comic and he drew a self portrait with a speech bubble saying, "blah blah blah" next to it on the inside of it.


It was great, so much fun! I only spent maybe five hours there, the two panels I sat in on were sandwiched between three chunks of time spent wandering and admiring people's octopuses. Saw Michael and Phil from my drawing class, Jim showed up eventually and we had a good chat over coffee (well I had root beer) about comics (like usual). I boinged his curly hair. You know, I lightly grabbed a curl and let it go and went, "boing!". Craig, who I met last night at the movie night, was also at the shindig. We chatted a little and ooed and aaahed over the octopus and chicken figures. He mentioned buying one of the chickens but I don't know if he did.

I feel really inspired to do my own little indie comic to pitch for $5 at things like this.

Road the Max/Shuttle/Max back and relaxed. Our RA was having a little get-together tonight. Hung about, chatted, ate brownies and cookies. Busy day, most of my energy was spent in the afternoon chatting up the comic honeys and looking fabulous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great to be around all the creative, visual, quirky indie talent & minds. You'd better start thinking about income, however, since even bargains add up. Too much temptation for your comic habit living in Portland.

Kirie said...

Trill, that image of that little girl with the backback reminded me of you at that age, and I could swear you had a backpack just like that! Keep doing what you're doing, i.e. follow your bliss, and the income will follow. I still think you should start submitting to some of the many literary/art mags featured in Poets and Writers that are interested in graphic stories and illustrations. Should I buy you a subscription? I already packed your BIRTHDAY PRESENT (hint hint Trill's birthday is January 21, and I'll bet she won't tell anyone) but I'd gladly subscribe to Poets and Writers if you're interested in a sub. Love xoxoxoxox