hi

hi

Sunday, January 27, 2013

headed for the hills

Saturday:

I made a road trip snack run Friday night, and when I got back, Ben was there! Hurray! We three got up at 7ish and Helen arrived at 7:30ish and then we hit the long road for Kirkwood. There was a Starbucks stop. We played road trip games. I'm really bad at I Spy. Helen is really good at it. It was a bit crowded in the Prius, but we all fit.

We arrived at Kirkwood Mountain Resort at around 11. I decided not to snowshoe, and instead to just hand out at the base and draw what was around there. Helen rented her snowboard, Ben got his boots and board. We had some food, and then those three went up the lift and I was left to my own devices. I trotted up the mountain in an area away from skiiers, and got fairly far up but I kept going down to my knees in the snow, which wasn't quite fun because my shoes were not right for that type of snow, and I was just in jeans, and my shoes quickly filled with snow which got my socks wet. So the rest of my day was spent in wet socks, which made the going cold. I got some drawing done, regardless of the cold. Drew people, drew the mountain a bit. It was hard to find a good place to park it though, and I didn't have waterproof pants so my bum would have gotten soaked fast. Ah, learned some lessons. Bring waterproof pants (except mine are in Washington and are being worn these days by mom), wear better shoes, bring lots of extra socks...yeah that should do it. Helen finished up a bit early and we hung out by the fireplace in the lodge. Nate and Ben finished at 4 (when the lifts closed) and we all head back down the mountain. We stopped at Hoot N' Annies, but I was tired and took a nap in the car intending to come into the restaurant a bit later...but slept through the whole meal. I plugged in my MP3 player and we listened to jams all the way back to Redwood City. Ben headed out, I put on dry socks, and chilled out a bit, and then I headed back to Santa Cruz. It was a nice drive, though a chunk of 101 has really bad road.

Sunday:

Steve was in town early in the day, so I mixed up a bigger scramble for a late breakfast/early lunch and we went for a walk up Ocean, over on Soquel, down Seabright, and back on Broadway. It was a beautiful day. He headed back relatively early, and I spent the afternoon cleaning house. Swept the hardwood floors and kitchen, scrubbed the kitchen floor, did the dishes, washed my work clothes. Making it all look nice.

I wish this weekend had an extra day...hahaha. When I do something I always want more time in which to do nothing. Funny how that works.

Some photos, courtesy of Nathan:



No comments: