hi

hi

Friday, March 11, 2011

website and getting stuff done

I was screen printing and I thought "it's no biggie staying late and getting things done, I slept in!" and then I remembered that I didn't sleep in and that this is in fact the one day that I am required to get up before noon.

So I did that. Actually I got up at 9! And I got some stuff done! Which was awesome. Got to school on time. It was mostly a work day, a work day that was very much needed. I even worked through lunch, because I had a big breakfast and knew I'd be going home for lunch. Yay for not spending money. In talking to Morgaine and knowing how Jeff's site ended up looking (good) I went with Weebly. Part of the final project for this class is getting a domain name and hosting a site. I've been holding back because a) I didn't know what to pick for a domain name (sorry but, as much as I love being a Spencer, as an artist I just want to be "Trillian") and b) getting a domain and then getting hosting ends up costing moolah. Weebly, you get both hosting and a domain name all for the reasonable $40 a year. It's almost double that on the next cheapest site. Weebly also has tons of templates. It isn't the most individually customizable of sites, but I figured I could make it work. So without further ado, my website:


I'm still working on it, but I'm pleased with the direction it is going. At around 3:30 I went home. Ate some pasta. Watched some TV. Then I went back to school for awesome yoga. Afterwards I printed out some more stencils for my thesis and went to the lab. Set up for printing (that is: printing stencils, applying emulsion, counting paper, setting up table, exposing, washing out screens, and drying) takes about an hour. A little less. Each layer of printing for 55 total prints takes an hour. It's good to know just how much time it all takes. I'm printing 55 because I know I'm likely to fudge up around 5 in a manner that makes them not worth gifting. I left the studio at around 1:30am. School is open till 2am most weekdays. 10pm on Friday and Saturday, which is STUPID. I got the Heather & Daniel side printed and the Jon side. Go me! I want to get all seven halves printed in the next 10. Spring break is coming fast and that is prime work time. I need to get a lot of work lined up. I want to get 10-20 prints done for thesis. 10 is easy, too easy. I'll probably achieve 15. But it would be GRAND to get 20. If I expose screens and count paper sheets at night, I can print straight through in the morning times. 7-11 is open work time because there are no printmaking classes that start before 11. I can get four layers done, if I can just manage to get up at 6am. Which I can do when it calls for it.

I'm half way done with Shades of Gray by Jasper Fford. Great audio book. Just powering through it. Though anything feels like "powering through it" after the epic Song of Fire and Ice series. Those were some long long books. Madeline is now listening to the audio books, so I have someone to chat with about them.

Got home. Put some rice on. Put that rice into sea weed snacks. Popped a beer. Chillaxed. I've earned it. Tomorrow is another mentor meeting. And yoga. And maybe more printing. Probably more printing. I should get as much done during the windows that I can find. I'll print one more half tomorrow, but expose five total screens, so that three are ready to go come another day. Having five screens is AWESOME.

Also my prints look REALLY GOOD. I'm very pleased with them.

Todays Portrait Is: Vincent Kartheiser.

No comments: