hi

hi

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

starting up again

Yesterday:

Another miserable pointless day.

Today:

Point has been found! I went to William Temple House with Kristen to check out the self help section, because there might be some research potential in there. Get some cheesy stuff about social groups or whatever. I walked away with Cat Fight: Rivalries Among Women - From Diets to Dating, From the Boardroom to the Delivery Room, The 100 Simple Secrets of Successful People, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, The Healing Connection: How Women Form Relationships in Therapy and in Life, Quality Living in the Semicircle of Life, and The Farther Shore: A Natural History of Perception. All for 2 bucks or less. And I picked up a kicking pair of white heeled booties. Yeaaah! The reading I had was way out of my depth. This stuff seems more on my level. And I'm actually a little bit excited about them. Especially Catfight. I was talking with Kristen about how women sometimes reinforce negative self image through the repetition of negative words like "fat free" "dieting" and other things. Like...women bring each other down more than popular media in my opinion. So I got to thinking about that, and the way my self image has changed since women have come into my social group more dominantly. Actually that comes into my mind often.

There might be something there to talk about. Something that interests me. What kind of art would come from it, who knows. But the idea that peer groups can also be negatives...who knows? All though Psychology Today reports that social groups with more women tend to have higher esteem, because women also toss out little compliments on a more regular basis. "Oh your hair looks nice" "great jacket" and so on. Two sides.

But yeah, once that thinking started, I began to feel a lot better.

House and Lie to Me were on tonight. Whoo television.

Tomorrow is just professional practices. But it is the scary class with Martin. But I have research materials to bring in! And thoughts to discuss! Then yoga! Then Glee! Then Raising Hope! But before that, Student Council. Well, I don't really need to go to that. Nothing I am interested in is up for vote and that would mean getting up at a reasonable time. I should probably spend time reading before class. Getting things sorted out and ready. Duh duh duuuh.

Actually looking at this Quality Living in the Semicircle of Life book...has a lot of medical stuff. These books are for sort of skimming and chapter jumping anyway.

No comments: