hi

hi

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

energy crystal fading

Last night I decided that sleep would be better than pushing myself awake. I was crashing at 10pm. I couldn't even get the energy to make myself some tea.

In the morning I woke up at 9:35. I have class at 8am. I let out a series of swears, took quick shower, stuffed on some clothes, and rode to school with all my might. I think they were doing a single long pose, so I only got the last 40 minutes of it. Oh well. So I missed the majority of one class. I still arrived. Turned in my documentation disc and a couple pieces.

Then it was silk screen final critique! Well, had to pick up some cheese. We were having a burrito potluck. I got a small brick of cheddar and mozzarella. I brought my shredder so my cheese was different from Tom's packaged shredded stuff. A lot bigger chunks of cheese with mine.

The potluck came at lunch, so there were some critiques to get out of the way. Mine went first (for the bandana and final zine). And it was a pretty smooth critique. People liked the zine a lot. I talked about making work to share and having enthusiasm for your work. There was a craftsmanship question on the sewing of the bandana (there were some threads) and I agreed that yeah, it was a little bit of laziness on my part to not clean it up. It was a good critique.

Casey followed. She screen printed edible art. Seriously. First she made peanut butter cookies, then she put dollops of white chocolate on them, and put wax paper of that to make it flat, and then she put the screen over them and put cinnamon on the screen, and rubbed it through the screen and onto the cookie. And it turned out really well. She also went through massive trial and error. Peanut butter, liquid chocolate, just about everything sort of viscous went through the screen. Awesome!

Then it was potluck time. We combined our stuff with the Tom's class, so it was an epic spread. Cheese, meat, biscuits, veggies, beans, rice, vegan gluten free something, enchiladas, flan, lemon squares, soda, and other vegetable medleys. It was an awesome feast. I got well stuffed.

Junko made these beautiful little silkscreen monotypes.
Robin made a third house at night silk screen. Even more complex than her previous one. Breath taking. Gorgeous. Each one improves on the last vastly. She is so great!
Chelsey did these combination monotypes.
Patsy did this nearly life size California Condor. It was mixed media. Cut foam board body with combination printed head and legs. It was supposed to go up on the wall in the commons, but it fell down. It was really striking. I want a Patsy bird tattoo. Maybe a heron.
Ali followed with two beautiful drawings of an abandoned school reclaimed. Really nice line art. It totally fits with the car aesthetic from her last critique. Rad.
deAnn did a little mini installation. She had a metaphor figure with lots of symbols, and behind it was a hanging printed scroll, and there were some propped organic shapes. It was pretty neat.
Tabitha's 90's nostalgia work had a lot of nice variety. I told her she got too good at CMYK because she didn't have the unplanned errors that appeared in the Weird Al piece that made it so striking.
Finally came Diana. She whipped out an awesome couple pieces that really spoke about her and her aesthetic. It was a supreme combination of all the different types of work she has been doing. Beautiful drawings, nice text, experimentation in layers. And just masterfully done. Beautiful!

Then class was out! I had to print my illustration posters, so I dashed to Utrecht and got three sheets of arches paper (to allow for potential errors in printing) and a new three pack of sketchbooks and some pens. All I need for summer sketching!

With JP's help, we put both of the posters on one sheet to print as large as possible. The Carlyle one looks great, but the printer decided to have a fit just an inch into the Pearce poster. I've written Pearce so much that it doesn't look right anymore. So now I have a full sheet of paper and a couple scraps. The posters look great! I'm really pleased with the printing. They are also a slightly new technique for me. The posters improved once I gave up on my original composition, that wasn't working at all.

After printing, I swung by Yur's for a little drink with BT, Craig, Jay, and others. The design kids came in right after me, but they occupied their own nook. I had my usual and then ordered a grilled cheese. They left, and Jim and Mel came over to replace them. Catherine joined us after Mel left. It was a lot of trading of people. We drew and chatted and had general fun.

I went home with the intention of unwinding with Glee, then I started feeling really nauseous and sick and couldn't keep upright. So I allowed myself to sleep with the intention of absolutely getting up two hours early to work on stuff. And so far, so good.

No comments: