hi

hi

Friday, April 17, 2009

2/8

Long day. Again. But I'm on track and feeling good.

We got a lot of group theory thrown at us during math but no more tips on solving. I can do the top layer no problem. Just need to learn the next two. Yup yup.

There was a class in the silk screen lab so I couldn't print but I could remove the emulsion, reapply it, and reexpose the screens without getting in the way too much. Karen has loaned me TWO SCREENS! So now I can comfortably print. Finished painting my digital tools project in class so I don't have that to worry about at all. I used a self made brush to do the cars so I could get the lineart in really quick.

Then it was straight to printing! Oh I had this awesome burrito for lunch. It had edamame, sweet corn, black beans, and brown rice and some sort of cheese. It was super good. I think I'll order another one tomorrow during my insane printing run. But back to printing today. I cut the edition in half to 100 prints at the first color. I got two pages done and they are coming up great. Sure there is some loss due to crappy printing but I'm getting better and knowing how to print and what causes errors. So from 100 it might be at around 80-90 now. I think the loss will slow down and I may end up with about 50 comics, which is fine. It is a lot of labor but its mostly labor back to back. My feet hurt but I wasn't wearing the best shoes. There were lots of print people in and out and chatting. Devin was there, Karen was working on her letterpress, Anthony Roberto was busy being a genius, Rainbow sewed. It was a nice crew. Printing is nice because you are never alone. I took up a lot of room with my prints but people were nice about it (mainly because I was around and never left the room for more than five minutes. Lots of printers will leave stuff about for hours with no note). Helped Devin out a little bit. Poor fella had to reapply emulsion a bunch of times for this one book project.

I got out of there at about 10:50. I'd say about three and a half to four hours was spent printing. There was about 15 devoted to setup and the rest was all cleaning. I'm removing the emulsion from the screens as I wash the ink off so when I'm ready for the last 4 transfers, I can do them all pretty much at the same time. So there will be a break while I'm waiting for all of it to dry to expose and then dry to print.

Now to sleep for tomorrow will make or break me.

Each edition should go faster as I will be printing less and less. It will be a matter of minutes difference but still, a little faster is always better.

No comments: