hi

hi

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

glitter paws does thriller

The 11-3 block of today was one big frustration. Yoga got passed through student council which was awesome. The rest, not so much. Lots of issues of concern. Lots of issues and problems with few solutions. Argh. I need to just bring my lunch and go elsewhere during it all. Can't take it anymore! Though the mac and cheese was quite good. We watched a video about the avant garde and the Dadaists. It was a great video but I had a hard time sustaining my alertness. I think we actually learned something today but it is hard to take a teacher seriously when they don't even know about Duchamp's last piece that he spent 20 years working on! How can you rave about "not having enough Duchamp" when you are not aware of Etant donnés. Such was my fury that I switched topics to that over German Heroic Realism. Plus she dissed Heroic Realism so I probably would have had a hard time making a case for it.

In figure drawing we had Cherise. Good model though something is really tricky about her anatomy. It was a series of 20 minute poses while Morgan looked at our work. Being at the end of the alphabet, he didn't get to me quite yet. Next class though. The last few minutes I drew on Karen's piece and she drew on mine. They ended up being brilliantly surreal. Or just zany. Whatever. Also Karen watched Thriller for the first time and drew Diana's cat dancing it. When one cat leaves, another shall take its place.

Painting was a work day. Got some good reviews on my assignment and got to work laying in the details. It's a lot of little work but I think it will have a nice final effect. I used the illustration printers for my thought web printing needs. I wouldn't have to do that if the school had regular printers with ink open for our general needs. Hung around for a bit and chatted with Farel. Showed Bryan my 24 Hour Comic.

I missed the call from Paula concerning my employment. Tomorrow I will find out my job status.

I watched the DVD of Mark Romanek's music videos while I cut and assembled my thought web collage. He has a very diverse range of work. Very prolific from Michael and Janet Jackson's Scream and En Vogue's Free Your Mind to Johnny Cash's Hurt and Nine Inch Nails' Closer. I really dug the video for the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Can't Stop.

I finished my thought web. Now I have nothing due till Friday! So I just have reading, watching, and sketching to do all of Wednesday and Thursday. I need to start my zine for Science Friction. I will write it up first and then lay it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcel Duchamps was the first artist to explore the concept of Time-Based Art. He should be the Patron Saint/Artist of the Portland Time-Based Art Festival. But I remember in Art History class his only mention was his cubist "Nude Descending the Staircase." That was the beginning and end of his inclusion in the formal, general survey of art history. A good student of art like you knows the whole, deepe, more interesting story. ~lisap