hi

hi

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

a sunny day greets me

My alarm went off at 9:30 this morning. A minute later mom was calling me from downstairs informing me that David Sedaris was on the radio. He was in Washington today; at Third Place Books. I saw Dave Barry there. The interview was before his reading and signing. It was lovely. His voice seems to have deepened since he stopped smoking. My ticket to see him seems so far away.

I packed in quite a hurry. I only needed one other bag for all my stuff. The books weighed down the case. They took up almost as much room as my clothes. Still, I got it all together in just the right amount of time to get my passport.

We were there right on the spot. I sort of accidentally cut in line to ask about the passport. This grumpy old man informed me there was a line. Whatever. I just had to ask a question. He had to wait two seconds longer. The passport form was turned in and filled out in a flash. I confirmed that I am not a traitor or into treason. In four weeks I will have my new book all ready to be stamped.

Dad and I hit up Home Depot for rebar, paint, and other necessities for projects. The mailboxes are going to require a great deal of cement to finish. Try and steal them now!

We got a quick bite to eat from McDonald's and off we went to Tacoma. Dad explained his hydrolizer for getting better gas mileage but I didn't quite follow it.

I was one pound away from the weight limit at the train station. 49 pounds that bag is! Amazing. Belgian comic anthologies weigh alot. They oofed as they dragged my bag around. The train was on time. Hugs were exchanged and I boarded for Portland.

There was no one beside me and no movie on the train, so I watched one of my own; Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Wonderful little Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer murder mystery.

Portland is warm and bright. A perfect return to this place I now call home. Took a cab ride home. He took the route I take when I ride my bike home. It hasn't really changed. Lindsay was waiting for me when I pulled up. Yay's were exchanged.

Unpacking didn't take too long. Just clothes and books really. Sorted through my papers and nick knacks. The place has been decorated a little more in my absence. It looks lovely. We have really moved in, hardly feels like student housing. We just need a full length mirror and a second shelf.

It is wonderful to be back. It has changed but not really.

Karen and I went to see the late night showing of The Fall. I have been waiting for this movie for about a year. The trailer was simply stunning and, when it came to the visuals, the movie did not disappoint. It was both funnier and more depressing than I was expecting. The little girls accent was annoying at times. Lee Pace was brilliant. Ohhh what a wonderful movie.

Ibanez left a furry nest on my blanket.

No comments: