hi

hi

Thursday, October 21, 2010

b is for broadside, and breakthrough

In Yur's, talking with Karen and Dom about the immense struggle that is thesis, I had a format breakthrough, and it was this: it isn't the zine that is attracting me, but the act of unfolding a piece of art work. There is something about interacting with art in that way that really makes me go "whoo!" It stirs something in my thought process, much in the same way that the knowledge I'll be silk screening something makes me look at the art I'll be doing in a different way. So a broadside is a type of large printed poster that is used to proclaim something. It is a nice format that is getting use in stuff lately. I need to do more research, but this falls in line with that massive comic I did two years ago, but also speaks to the small printed projects I've been doing. But it is a poster, and posters command authority. And on the OTHER SIDE I will print something that is more image centric. So it will fold out and one side will be a large image poster and the other will be more text, with image. Or something.

But this format has got me excited. I think I might have backed off from doing a poster because it will be so close on Karen's posters. But it will be totally different materials and use of the format. But that is getting ahead of myself.

A breakthrough. I had one! AWESOME! Now I need to take another wave of research.

But back to the start of the day. Horrible night sleep. Woke up at 8am, and pondered getting up, enjoying a breakfast with several cups of tea. But then I managed to fall asleep and then I got up at 10am and rushed and grabbed a pop tart and left. Yeah.

We watched some Caroline Leaf animations. Beyond talented lady. For lunch I had a corn dog and some nibbles of potato wedges. I mostly sat in the studio and tried to stay awake. Bleh. Loaned TJ my PVA glue. Back in class we split and critiqued. Mine went well enough. Tippi and Emily's were insanely spectacular though. Tippi went to town with cut outs from Vogue pattern catalogs and old home and gardens, and Emily made tea bags shuffle like no other. Really good stuff.

We took a break. Came back. Finished the Hedgehog stuff. Got our next assignment, which is animating painted movements. Like pushing a malleable material around and animating that. Sand, clay, paint...there are a lot of options. I think I'm going to hijack some monoprint ink. Cherish gave me some plexiglass so booyah. It is a big thing of plexi, but I have it. For some purpose now. Whooo!

After class, I worked on my portfolio a little bit and the portfolio assessment. I went and printed it out on just the standard 11x17 copier/printer in the library. Returned. Class started. Our next assignment is actually from real art directors! And if they like our work, we might get legitimately printed in Bear Deluxe, Park City Magazine, or some doggie blood donation thing that I don't really care about because I'm going for the article in Bear Deluxe that has to do with this FDA official. Karen is doing the doggie thing because she gets to do some wiener dog art. Dom is also doing FDA. Competition!

Anyway, break time. I got some Safeway Sushi and Pellegrino sparkly water. Then we came back and critiqued portfolios for an hour and a half. That went well. And then class was over.

Karen and I went to Yur's and girl talked about stuff. I had a soda. Dom joined us and we thesis talked. Then we left Yur's. I went home. And now I am home.

Tomorrow there is a lecture at school that should be about something, then Friday there is yoga and an illustration party. Saturday I booked time in the animation lab. I booked time later in the evening, but I'll probably show up at like 4. All well fed and ready to work till I am done. Sunday is open. Monday is Madeline's movie night. Aliens! Then Tuesday comes around again.

Have to finalize my portfolio, so Sunday will probably be a "I'm going to school to work on my portfolio and won't leave till it is printable" day. But yeah, have the next five days pretty squared away, which is nice. I'll be productive, instead of lame, but there is ample time to kick back.

No comments: