hi

hi

Friday, July 23, 2010

finished!! whoo!

No alarm. Slept in. Mmm.

As I type this, behind me my newly finished quilt rests on my bed in all its glory. Quilting is so rewarding.

Anyway, slept in. Had my usual toast and cocoa breakfast. Helped dad split logs like a good Spencer. After that he helped fashion a new pad for my small headphones (the last one fell apart after it dropped in my laksa). With audio book on the go, I set about finishing my quilt! I cut out the batting and the backing and stitched it together. Then I vacuumed the floor and spent half an hour picking out the bits that stuck to the fabric and batting. Then I lay them out on the floor and pinned the sides together. Satisfied, I took the heap down to the lawn and pinned it on the quilting frame and got to knotting. Instead of stitching the massive 5'x5' thing together, I put yarn knots through the layers to hold it together. Put four on each square, in the corners in the country fair squares and in the large triangles in the sawtooth star squares. Paused to eat dinner. Mom told me not to tell an anecdote about her in my blog, but it is really funny. Finished up with the knots at 8:30 and got the excess cut off the side in time for the elimination episode of So You Think You Can Dance. During one commercial break I sewed up the side.

No elimination! Double elimination next week! Exciting!

Then I finished my quilt. Sewing the edge is something I need to work on. The machine was far from perfect with its stitches (I was using the newer Singer, not the older one) and the edge is wavy. Still, it looks so good. I can't wait to make another!

And this has been the most productive I've been all summer. But an emotional rest is good to have.

No comments: