hi

hi

Monday, April 15, 2013

Lucy in the Sky with Foie Gras

Had the plan to go to the Lucy Knisley book signing today. For her book "Relish" a comic memoir about food. I love her art, so figured it would be a neat adventure to go to Berkeley and see her. I texted the people I knew in the area and one was doing stuff later in the day so the scheduling would be too tight, the other had plans, and the third never called my back and the fourth I don't think got my Facebook message. So I went it alone, which was a bit lonely. I think my day might have been a bit more enjoyable if I had some company along the line. But oh well. Can't say I didn't try.

I left at around 12:45ish and arrived in Berkeley at 2:30ish. My written instructions were good because now I fully don't trust my GPS to connect at all. Found free parking that was only a couple blocks from the venue too, which was awesome (helped that it was a Sunday). I walked up Shattuck Ave and I went into Fantastic Comics and bought Relish ahead of time and then I stopped in Half Price Books. The books were indeed Half Price but I was able to resist purchasing. I got to the Berkeley Public Library with time to spare before the little book talk. The room wasn't totally crowded, but it had a good vibe. Lucy Knisley talked us through the first chapter of her book with photo references, as well as detailed her process. She talked about the length of time it took to do the comic (3-4 years) and other stuff. It was nice. The signing happened at Fantastic Comics, and she was drawing everyones favorite food in their book, so I asked for fish & chips and she obliged with an excellent drawing. So good. She was really friendly for the little I talked to her. Just being in a comic shop gave me good vibrations.

Afterwards I wandered back down Shattuck and got a cheesesteak and coke at a diner. It wasn't anything special, which was disappointing to eat after seeing a talk about a comic that is food centered memoir. But I didn't know where any better restaurants would be, and I didn't feel like spending 45 minutes walking up and down Shattuck and Univeristy looking for them. Guess that is the Spencer side of me. The "I need to eat something before this day will progress any further" side.

At 5pm I left Berkeley and headed for Santa Cruz. I listed to Hannibal and some music. Traffic was okay. Got home in good time. Pajamas were engaged, and Game of Thrones was eagerly watched. This weekend was so busy, but I guess that is a good thing! Can't spend all my days doing nothing.

No comments: