hi

hi

Friday, December 3, 2010

a beth of beagles

It's been a fairly long day. Well, it was an early day. And early days lead into long feeling days. But it was a great day.

Heather's thesis defense was this morning. She made these beautiful etchings depicting these fables of hers. Morgan said it was the best aquatint he has ever seen at PNCA. Really intricate work. Lots of thought and depth. The panel kinda got into a critique about it, but the conversation was good and long. They actually had to stop it so they could continue onto the next stage. I was looking at some of my past thesis write ups, and they were more extensive than this. Heather is such a talented artist and an amazing, intelligent individual.

Got a way too salty pretzel from Safeway for a snack. Sat with Karen at the first half of Kristen and Tabitha's joint proposal. They started with a video, and launched into their proposal. They went back and forth pretty well. Kristen was nervous and spoke fast. It was a double length proposal, so we left during some of the questions. But they knew ahead of time, and it was probably expected that some would leave.

Beth! What a great thesis. Animal grouping in visual form and what it reflects. It was a packed house also. I got front row right in front of the podium. She was nervous but did really well. Answered the questions well. Borrowed and returned my pen well.

Lunch time! Lasagna! Ate with Madeline, Amanda, Rachel, Amanda, and Jaymee. Chatted about stuff. Showed them how to fold a zine down.

Then scanned some stuff. Chatted with more people.

Eckard was doing a performance where he had a candelabra strapped to his legs that bound them in this raised position (but they were also propped) and he was laying on the floor and dragging himself around this crack on the floor with a little pick and this tube. He cleaned the crack on the floor and blew the dust away. It was odd but then it became just a background detail as I talked to BT about promoting positivity and high fives all day every day.

I went to Sivonna's Muku Mania proposal. I got a sticker from it! Yay! It was a nice proposal. I've already heard it a bunch of times. She lost her voice for about 10 seconds during it, but that passed.

After I talked to Samala, and then Dom, Thom, Jon, and I did a Chinatown loop walk. First to Utrecht. Jon got some paper. Then Everett Street so Dom and Jon could pick up their art from a show. Today was First Thursday. Too bad I made plans. Oh well. Jon went back to school to print. Finally was Floating World Comics. I got an email reminding me of my much neglected box. I gotta show up at least twice a year to get my MAJOR backlog of comics. So I did that. Then we walked back towards the studios. Thom is in town for the next few months again, totally awesome. He is going to teach English in China! Just needs to save for the ticket. Way way cool.

I headed back home after that. Relaxed a bit. Called Rollyn to confirm that we were still on for bowling. Unfortunately the bowling alley at PSU was all reserved for a special deal. So we stayed in, ordered pizza, and watched Goldfinger. Then spent a lot of time comparing what movies we have and haven't seen. I should have taken his bet when he said that Tampopo wasn't in the 1001 Movies to See Before You Die book, because it totally was. It was a nice night.

Tomorrow after the proposals, I will print my shirts. Not participate in the crazy drinking that takes place at Yur's following the finals and instead go and buy fixings for chili! Whoo! And then listen to audio books and clean the apartment. Jon is having a birthday celebration roaming party thing, but that doesn't start till later. I want to focus on cleaning the apartment. Put it into good shape for the Saturday Luncheon.

Tomorrow is the last day of proposals! Morgaine, Josh, Jennifer, and Samala! And then print shirts!

No comments: