hi

hi

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

need more flashion

I fell nicely asleep at nine ish. And unnicely woke up at 3am. I sort of laid about for a few hours, and when I realized I wasn't falling asleep, at 6:20ish I got up and had some tea, did half the dishes, and had some bacon and egg. Then I sat about and relaxed for the next few hours. Didn't go to a morning defense.

Started with Jeff, who unknowingly had spelt his last name wrong. It looked good aesthetically, so I didn't question it. He is doing propaganda posters. Jeff is coming from an interesting point of view, visually, because he came to PNCA as photo, then intermedia, and now illustration. It was a good little proposal.

I helped Karen briefly before Madeline's. Just put paper to dry on the racks.

Madeline's proposal was also very good! She had a great speaking pace, good humor, good art in the show. All around, very nice. She was nervous but did fine. Madeline is writing a children's picture book. The questions were answered well. Then she left to go relax and sleep off the stress.

Lunch was burritos that were perpetually running out. Maybe because each one had to be made, instead of making trays of enchiladas. I sat with Kevin and Sivonna. I lost interest half way through my burrito. I mean, I lost interest in the burrito. Not my company. For the rest of lunch I was in the library helping Dom with his crossword (wasn't that much of help) and chatted with the Illo people.

After lunch was Asha! Her thesis and mine both have a similar axis point with opposite materials and audience/distribution. We are both making something to freely give, and while mine is focused on mantra, hers has a meditation aspect. But where hers will have fine craft with letter press and other printing techniques, mine follows the aesthetic of lacking archival qualities, as well as "anal retentive registration". And while her audience is the unsuspecting who find her hidden pieces, mine will be who I force my posters on. There are a lot of similarities, but some big differences. Quite cool. I hung around a bit after. Got to talk to Morgan about my zine. Got my ego nursed a bit more. Heh heh.

And then I saw this guy who is the male version of me, style wise. I'm glad that I wore my striped sweater and green shirt, because if I had gone gray with black hoodie, we would have been identically dressed. He had black and white sneakers, straight dark jeans, gray shirt (my favorite color for shirts these days) plaid button up layer under a black hoodie layer, and with the topper: a brown leather jacket. I pointed it out to Jon and he agreed that it was the male me.

Somewhere between that point, going to the studio, and going to Jon's thesis, I got a huge blob of white screenprinting ink on my jacket. I must have set it down, and picked it up. I didn't notice it for a while, which was strange. It also meant that I got a lot of it in my hair and on my sleeve and down my jacket. Boo!

Jon gave a pretty good proposal. He probably got some of the most complex questions I've heard at the proposals thus far. More in depth stuff about the importance of the time and format. He had good responses, all though I spaced on the last half of his proposal because that was when I noticed all the ink on me.

Thom May is in town! I gave him one of my few precious remaining zines. And dashed to the print making studio to scrub the ink off my jacket. It came off no problem, all though all the scrubbing and water probably wasn't good for my already beat to hell jacket. When I love a garment, I loooove it and it gets so worn out. I wear the Romeos, even though they have no traction and when its wet I'm one slide away from a banged up knee. I'll figure out how to add traction to them some how. Anyway, cleaned the jacket and then went to Cherish's defense. Saved Karen a seat.

Cherish knocked it out of the park! Almost no notes needed. Just clear about her process and the meaning and how it relates. She did pieces and an installation and distillation about home. Really beautiful work, especially the "book" that she did, that was clips of spaces and written memories on vellum and other precious papers. She also had a snack table with tea and pumpkin roll and rice candy. Yum! Perfect way to end the day. She responded to the questions with intrigue. A really good piece of work.

After that I scanned in my sketches thus far, and then went to the studios. Chilled with BT and Karen for a bit. Then returned to my fair apartment.

I still haven't picked up the animation work that I sorely need to be doing. I figure I'll just be at school non stop after Focus Week, and it will feel like a breeze compared. I just need to draw and scan and sequence. And not get too mad at After Effects. Watched me some Glee and Raising Hope (not as good as some of the other episodes, a little too gimmick heavy).

Tomorrow is Dom, Rachel, Robin, Mel, and then Karen! Then a little bit of a celebration after that I suspect. But I'm having a rendezvous at 8, so I won't get getting down and funky with the whole bunch for much longer after Karen's.

Still haven't been at a proposal that rivaled my attendance amount, I suspect I'll be getting a run for my money tomorrow.

No comments: