hi

hi

Thursday, November 20, 2008

yes, I am a kiwi

500 posts you guys, how cool is that?

Mom, pop, and Nate are reporting for Portland Turkey Day duty. I don't have my new work schedule so I hope it doesn't interfere too much with them coming and going. Wednesday they arrive, Friday they leave. Need to start cleaning now! So much stuff to stuff into my closet.

Of course it rains when I have lots of errands to do. Of-bloody-course. Needed the rain pants to go to school but it subsided enough when it came time for my errands. I don't know why biking seems so much more difficult this semester than the previous ones. It is really getting to me and I don't feel in better shape for it. Yoga was actually cancelled last night so it is okay that I didn't go as there was nothing to go to.

There was no model for figure drawing so we got an intense lesson about the face. A key thing we learned was that macrocephaly is synonymous with hydrocephaly. Morgan said that we should put emphasis in the jaw line over getting the eyes and nose and what not to look right. We traded spots all over the place and drew portraits of each other. I started with Diana and with each portrait, it got better and better. The one of Heather I think was the best in terms of expression and jaw. She is really pretty and is always well put together. And with that comment about the jaw line, my work got instantly better. I was excited with how well they turned out.

After that came my big end of semester review with Martin. I show him what I have done since our last meeting and he talks about my progress as an artist and illustrator. I had a massive pile to show him. Drawings, figure work, paintings, comics, more paintings, illustrations, and extra work. He said I had an ease about how I did things and it wasn't over worked. I was becoming more confidant with my use of watercolor and finding my style. It was generally very positive and he pointed out some of the compositions that he liked and what I should think about as I continue with my stuff. Generally I need to be conscious of how unconscious I am. Uhh yeah.

I got behind in schedule when it came to leaving school. I had to resort my tiny locker. All the contents were spewed on the floor and it made it difficult for people to get by. I really need to switch. Trader Joe's was most fruitful in the tea, apples, candy, gnocchi, and pasta department. Key Bank was not fruitful in the speedy service department. Took forever to get to me. Both tellers were very slow but the previously grumpy one seemed to have better customer service this time around. No condescending attitude at all.

The sun was shining as I rode on home, overloaded with coats and sweaters. I forgot to lock my bike up at Trader Joe's but no one stole it. Maybe because it was a mountain bike or the lock seemed to be near the location where it would be locked, or just no one payed attention. It was also right in the eye line of the flower shop people so not the most subtle place to boost some wheels.

Banana bread was go. I payed my bill. I ate my favored gnocchi and Gorgonzola and kicked back. I pulled the loaf out of the oven with only about ten minutes till I had to depart for class. When I cut it for Jen and Erin, it was steaming. They loved it. Bryan loved it. Farel loved it. Lee loved it. Erin loved it. Karen loved it. Well I think they loved it, I did. It was warm and hearty and sweet and awesome. It feels good when people around me are content. And it feels good to aid the bringing about of that sensation. I should cook more for my classes, like Brynne pointed out they are all REALLY starving artists.

My Keanu portrait is very bold and striking. Does it look amazingly like him? Not really. But it is colored the way I want it to and it reads really well from a distance (not so pretty up close but it still needs some work). It is blue on one side and red on the other and I am painting it in gouache. There are spatters in the background which I need to figure out what to do with. Overall, I'm excited about how it is going. Farel commended me on working at that size. I think it adds to the strong graphic quality of the painting (by having it so big I mean). Can't wait to scan and show you guys!

We played 20 questions. It wasn't raining when I rode back. Watched some more Rome, ate some dinner, relaxed in the knowledge that I won't be up till 1am doing homework.

No comments: