Sunday, September 7, 2014

the road down and the place is how it was

Sorry Mom! Haven't updated when I totally have been in the position to do so. All those months of irregularity have given me a bad blogging habit.

Job Application:

I drove to Chimacum and dropped off my job application. Chatted with the manager just a little bit and I should hear from them on Monday. If I get called in for an interview, that will put the Olympic Penninsula on par with the Bay Area in terms of "calling Trillian in for interviews".

Getting a going:

Dad & I packed up the van and departed NoonThirty on Friday. And all in all, it was a largely uneventful day of driving. No crashes, no near misses, nothing too bad. We hit traffic around Portland, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. We got dinner in Eugene at the Oregon Electric Company, or some place. I had gnocchi and tea.

Taking over:

After Eugene, at the first rest stop, I took over for driving for about 4 hours. We got across the border. Dad dozed and snored. I listened to Bob Brozman and Beatles and all sorts. I play podcasts. Dad educates me on the classics. It's a long drive, but it's not long enough to get too repetitive with content. We caught some shut eye at a rest stop.

Mountain View:

San Francisco rose in the distance not as a skyline but as a wall of fog. We got to Mountain View at 9am. Nate, in his jammies just as I was, let us in. Showers we had. Snacks were consumed. Wifi was connected to. And damn I am so allergic to the kittens Nate & Helen are fostering! Cute kitties but I was oozing snot almost immediately. I took a claritin, and the kitties were dropped off to be fostered, and I eventually cleared up. We scoped out this winery as a potential place for a thing. It was a nice day, but everything in California just feels so dry.

After that, we got some food. We four went to this nice burger place where you select a patty and toppings and cheese and theres so many options! I went for beef, mozarella, grilled onions, carrots, tomatoes, with horseradish aioli spread. SO GOOD! And I finished it all. My appetite has changed to where I find myself finishing larger portions. I would think I would be eating less, what with my jaw issues (while hauling wood something popped in my jaw and the troubles I've been having since the Adirondacks have almost all gone away, it still feels a bit odd but I can eat again). Also having been on the road and random portion availability, it seems like I would be unable to eat large plates. Whatever the reason, I probably shouldn't eat as much as I can because I've gone all soft after four months of being on my butt. Hopefully Pulali provides me a workout! Dessert was deluxe smoothies. Mine was bright pink and very tasty! It had "pitaya" in it. After smoothie time, Nate dropped me off at Garth's. I didn't feel like sleeping on the floor, so I asked if I could crash at his. Plus it'll be nice for Nate and Dad to have some father son time. I met Garth's friend Adam, and we hung out watching stuff and playing video games and drinking beer. In the morning, Garth dropped me off at Nate's. They live about 15 minutes apart, so it's very convenient.

Santa Cruz:

I snacked at Nate's and then we packed up the van with Helen's floral arrangements for this auction, and we set off to deliver them. After dropping them off, we parted ways with Nate and Helen and drove to Santa Cruz. We cashed in points at the Holiday Inn Express that is just off Ocean Street. Katrina, the manager, was very nice. After scoping the room, we set off to get lunch. Zoccoli's of course. We got sandwiches and a prickly pear soda to split and Dad bought a Zoccoli's tee. Ten bucks is the right price for a Gildan single color left chest, single color back printed shirt.

From there we got a trailer and put it on hold, then Dad drove me over to Ryan's and dropped me off and I hung out for a few hours. We watched Bojack Horseman and I drank some iced coffee and just chatted and caught up and it was lovely. He took care of my Jade plants in my absence, and they both are alive and well! The big one is so vertical now. It was really leaning over. Dad picked me up again at 8. He said we went to the harbor and drove around and got some food. It was a good day to hang out in Santa Cruz, though he didn't go stand up paddling! But he saw people that did. I borrowed the car and drove over to the Newport house and saw Tara & Jeff. Mostly Tara, but Jeff for a little bit too. I had to reclaim my alpaca plushie. Caught up, talked, I told a few tales of the road. It was a nice mini visit. Not a big one because Tara works hard for the money and was getting tired and we have a long day ahead of us, so off I went back to the hotel.

So! Tomorrow we will get up, get food, go get the Uhaul, pack it up, and head on out and up and north once again! The uhaul is scheduled for a 10am pick up. Let's do this!

Oh also the moon was very beautiful tonight. The water was all sparkly in reflection.

No comments: