hi

hi

Monday, April 26, 2010

I'm so proud of my friends, I can't even really say

I'm so exhausted. Writing now (10pm) instead of right before I go to bed (11pm, most likely).

Daniel's thesis defense was first thing in the morning. I debated sleeping in, but I'm glad I went. He did clothed/naked portraits to represent the different sides of a person. Something like that. Really beautiful large full figure portraits, drawn in pairs. Jay, Heather, and Lindsay all posed for him (Lindsay our figure TA). I did some fun little drawings of him. It was a good presentation. He was nervous be he got through it in detail and talked about his material with confidence. Sat next to Jay, who I think got another haircut.

Afterwards, I went to the library and sort of napped. Well first I got a pastry and hot chocolate because I was starving. Chocolate croissant. Mmmm. Then yeah, rest. Then lunch. Discount chili and salad. Mmm.

Chilled in the print lab with Junko and the print crew. Then helped Karen put up posters that promoted her thesis. Then fiddled on the computer.

Danny! Danny showed up in the lab briefly and I was like "OMG YOUR BABY?" and he said her name was Lillian and she was the second most beautiful thing next to his wife and that he has never been more exhausted or happy. Awwwww.

Then I listened to Karen practice her proposal till about 4:15. BT stopped by and gave feedback. We gave lots of feedback. She is really good though. No uhms. Still semi note dependant, but getting better all the time.

Lacey's thesis was six reductive woodblocks. Large ones. Each took about 40-50 hours to carve. So a lot of work. It was a narrative about coping with and accepting depression. It was intense but she presented it with ease and compassion and just this aura of comfort. It never felt like she wanted pity or a sob story. It was so comforting and uplifting, while also really emotional. I teared up at her practice yesterday, but I didn't today. No notes, no stumbles, she was magnificent. She is an amazing person, I'm so happy she is a part of my life. The work that she does...wow.

Hung out in the studio with BT, Karen, and Jay afterwards. Sort of stared into space. BT left for an interview. Karen left to read and relax and then study. I hung back to catch up with Jay. We walked to Kinko's and back. Just chatted and walked arm in arm like two buddies. Need to hang with Jay more. It was raining but whatever, it rains.

Jay had to catch her bus. I hung with Karen and listened to her practice a little bit more. I could practically give her thesis for her. It is good to experience this step though, because I'll be going through with it in about eight months. AHHH!

I love my friends. They are awesome people. Very supportive and caring. Jus' saying.

Now I am home and dry and about to drink lots of fluids because I am feeling sick. Going to watch Breaking Bad and then sleep! Rachel Stark's defense is tomorrow.

No comments: