hi

hi

Thursday, September 10, 2009

land of milk and bit-o-honey

Early morning! Barry brought in delicious pastries. I had the chocolate filled one. This guy in my class, Peter, looks like belong on a detective show. His look and posture just make him appear as a confidant cop or something. I drew a picture of him as such and showed it to him. We chatted a little during one of the breaks. Barry and I had the same shoes on. Class was about Freud and Coney Island and how both came to be around the same time and the differences between dream and reality. A lot was discussed but not so much retained.

In History of Printmaking, we discussed the end of year project. It will be a mini print portfolio which we will bind ourselves. 8x10. The theme is Plague of Pigs/Swine Flu. Mostly because there are three cases within PNCA and Purell stations have appeared all across school. Dang.

I spent lunch in the library. Looking at books and nibbling some delicious Lean Cuisine.

Turned in a form mom sent me. Looked at Daniel's James Jean sketchbook. So beautiful.

After lunch we sat around under a projector and Morgan read out the "best bits" of Revelation and we looked at Durer's very literal prints that covered the text as he read it. I made a joke about one being busy.

Rode home. Hurrah. Worked on finishing up some thumbnails. Killed time till Neal Medlyn!!

Luke, Katie's friend, came over for dinner and later they went to the show.

I left early to meet Jay. Medlyn's show was being held at The Works. The Works is just a large building that gets taken over for TBA every year but the location changes every time. In 07 it was at the Wonder Ballroom(I believe that is what it was called). I saw Some Cats from Japan there. In 08 it was at this little warehouse just off of Broadway and Halsey or something. I saw Neal Medlyn and Ten Tiny Dances there. This year it is at Washington High School, which was abandoned quite a few years ago. Spooky. I wandered in trying to find Jay (I left my cell at home) and the PICA (Portland Institute for Contemporary Arts) lady said, "Your friend is not here." It was really weird. How would she know who my friend was? How would she know it isn't one of the PICA people? Very rude.

I went to see Tyler Wallace and Nicole Dill's piece on the south lawn of the school. It was a camera rigged up in their car so that we could listen and watch what was a supposed private conversation. Pretty cool watching people you know in something as big as TBA but in knowing the people, I know that Dill's laugh sounded really inauthentic. Sat with Daniel and chatted. Jay showed up.

The venue was an auditorium. It wasn't standing only like his last show. But this show wasn't like his last one. There was singing, sure. It also had a narrative about purity and stuff. It was not at all what I expected but by the end, I still continue to be in awe of Medlyn. He knows how to keep something new and conceptual but still accessible. That is really hard when it comes to performance and contemporary art. His foil was an amazing singer.

Jay bought me a soda pop. She's a sweety.

Rode my bike back and almost accidentally went over the Morrison Bridge. No bike lane on that thing. Now to clean the makeup off my face and wake up and hope I didn't space on anything for Illustration. I don't think I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look cute in your picture. Oh, and edgey, too. Beautiful with a "Don't mess with me" finish. ~lp