hi

hi

Sunday, May 15, 2011

rock n roll ladies

Oh boy oh boy. Volunteering was a trip!

Got up nice and early, sort of, and got cleaned up and headed out to Heather's. Took me a good 30 minutes to get to her place. Funny how biking doesn't seem to take that long. Anyway, from there she drove us to the Rock N Roll Girls Camp, which is a totally awesome place in a very inconspicuous building. The camp provides a nice space for young girls to rock out and be awesome and learn instruments and generally get girl power. Heather needed some people to fill in for the screen printing section of the camp. Today Leah and I shadowed her while she instructed the Ladies Rock Camp (a three day thing where the money goes to help foster girls get into the program).

The contact sheet method of silk screening is this: you know that clear stuff you stick on stuff to protect it? Well basically you cut a shape out of it, then stick it to the back of your screen, and you can print with it! You don't get the best detail (also the screens we were using were super low thread count mesh) but it is instant, no chemicals, and awesome. So we set up and had some of the lunch they provided for us (awesome tacos, the Ladies Rock Camp is fully catered, hurrah). The first group was three bands of ladies. My group were the G Tornados, I say "my group" I mostly mean that I helped them the most. Their design was super rad. A Saul Bass sort of design. The shirts printed well, as did the test posters. There was also Trunk to Tail and Repeat Offenders. They came up with great shirts that printed quite well. Clean up was a cinch. Then it was about a 30 minute wait and the next group came in. Just two bands: Sauce Box and Stinky Pinkies. Their designs took a bit longer, but all in all it went well. The latter printed a ton of shirts. And the day ended with another delicious meal (lasagna). Damn so freaking good.

A wonderful day spent with babes rocking out and printing and learning new stuff. Now I just gotta teach some little ones how to do it on Tuesday and Wednesday. After I picked up my bike at Heather's, I rode to Karen's and real quick asked her to help on Tuesday, and she agreed. Leah is helping on Wednesday. Whoo! I guess I'm sort of the main instructor for it? It is terrifying and exciting at the same time.

Then I went home to my precious DOCTOR WHO! Oh man, what a phenomenal episode. It was written by the one and only Neil Gaiman, and thus it was just above and beyond wonderful. A lot was packed into that itty bitty episode. Now I'm going to watch it again!

Had some dinner, did my laundry.

What do you think is the minimum allowed time to let someones stuff rest in the dryer before you pull it out and put your stuff in? I say an hour. They left a basket so it wasn't quite so rude. I needed to dry my stuff! It is midnight!

Todays Portrait Is: Philip Ross Jacobsen (Odd Owl).

2 comments:

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Y'all were so helpful in this printing process- thanks for lending your time!

- one of Trunk to Tail
:)

Lesliejayne said...

We had so much fun at the screen printing! So much that I forgot I was excitedly awaiting the Gaiman episode of DW! Can't wait to see it tonight!