hi

hi

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

real hard at work here

Every Monotype class, we start with reviewing last weeks prints. My major one is under the care of Martin so I didn't get any feedback. We then went onto a viscosity technique demo. You roll a plate with a layer that is saturated with oil and then draw into it with something that removes the viscosity. Like a piece of cardboard. Then you roll onto it with a different color that is much thicker and due to the difference in viscosity, the different color will only stick where there isn't the different stuff. It will stick to where it is clean. I thought it was pretty cool and worked on two prints. The first assignment was an image with yarn, a bird, and a candle. I drew Tarryn tripping over yarn trying to get a shuttlecock (a birdie) and a swarm of birds gets in the way. Oh and she has candles attached to her head. I only drew her there because she was there. I rolled and carved into it twice to define the lines more. A lot of her face got lost because I didn't go over it a second time. But it ended up with a cool aged affect. I asked Chris the tech to sit and I drew a quick sharpie portrait of him on the back of a plate and traced into that. I removed and rolled four times before I printed. It was a cool combination of monotype and my own drawing methods. A great combination and it looked like him. I might continue with this method.

Lunch was leftovers int he library. Madeline, Bekka, Robyn, Rachel, Terry and I sat in the couch area and gabbed about TV. Terry talked about the mixed messages some of the thesis people gave him during mid term review. We all talked about Buffy and a Whedonverse all out battle and who would win (Cordelia if she never came back from heaven was the main choice). And other nerdy things.

After class I went to Nordstrom's to check out the makeup counters. Katie gave me pricing misinformation. While I loved the colors it was both twice what she said and plus five dollars. All I want is a good color of long lasting lipstick/lipgloss/lipwhatever. I've been using her kind and I like it but it is hers and there is not much left. I was polite but told them it was out of my price range (using my illustration money, but I don't want to use bloody half of it, or even a fifth). Got home and googled Cover Girl. Then I got sucked into their website. You can input all your colors (skin, hair, eye) and then they tell you the best matches. Ahg. Spent way too long deciding between Spiced Satin and Red Satin. Anyhoo, I'm going to swing by Walgreen's tomorrow between class and yoga.

Drew a birthday picture for Bekka. Katie wanted an X-Files "I Want To Believe" poster for her studio so I drew her one as a present. It's got Luna flying in the sky instead of the space craft. Katie loved it. Also worked on homework. Reading, drawing, sketchbooking. You know. I'm still doing a Bonnard print, but I think I changed it to the one of the chick with Champagne.

Lie to Me was good. Recognized Garret Dillahunt from The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford almost immediately. Very distinct but still talented. Worked on some portrait sketches.

No comments: