hi

hi

Thursday, October 20, 2011

holy ageism batman!

Just going to get up these next two portraits and tuck in to bed. I'm so bad about regular sleep times. I just start painting and then it is hours later.

Had a good productive Illustrator class. Learned about scatter brushes and art brushes and all that jazz. Drank a thermos full of tea, which went right through me. Oh, dad made pancakes. Mmm!

I reached my breaking point in Flash. When the teacher reprimanded me for not having everything in my library in folders, I defended myself in saying that I ordered it in a system that made sense to me. And she came back at me with some talk about working with others, which I explained I had done and my system has always worked. Then she asked me how old I was, because a young person could never have a grasp on collaboration or contemporary technology. Ageist. Totally ageist. I don't have gray in my hair so I must not have a clue. I think my seething rage was palpable, but I continued to defend my practices. I'm not some clueless 18 year old. I've been to college. I've used Illustrator, Photoshop, iMovie, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Dragon, iStopMotion, and InDesign to name a few. I've etched litho stones and etched plates. I've stretched screens and printed for hours on end. I've printed using all sorts of settings. I've collaborated with artists, I've been professionally commissioned. I've won an award and been in some shows. I'm not some clueless 18 year old, and to be treated as such pissed me majorly off. I'm good with programs. I'm good at learning. Many others my age have produced more, but I have still done a varied amount of things, many of which I am proud of. To be put down because of my age. That is not right. For her to assume so little of a student because they are in their 20's, what kind of a teacher is that?

The critique was a mess, few knew what was supposed to be done. Uhhhgg.

Drove home quite content that I defended myself. I worked in a way that made sense to me, and I've worked with others in a pretty good way these past years. I will not let myself be put down because someone assumes I have not been capable of what I have done because of my age.

Had soup for dinner. Watched Starter for 10 with mom. It was okay. Had some cute performances but wasn't anything stellar. It just lacked...something more. Did two portraits. Now to scan them. Thankfully I don't have to roll out of bed too early tomorrow. And then it is the weekend!

Todays Portrait Is: Iwan Rheon.

No comments: