hi

hi

Sunday, April 27, 2008

it was a sunny day and I was inside

Stumptown Comics Fest was fun. Not as fun as the last one but still pretty fantastic.

Panels:
Started off with Nicholas Gurewitch's one. Really good considering he winged most of it. And he had a robot. Always badass. Went to the Craig Thompson panel as well, despite the lack of me reading any of his work(no clue why I haven't, but now that I have some I can!).

Meeting Cool People:
Didn't interact with as many people as last one either. It was so crowded, it made it really hard to. Didn't really meet many awesome people. Just sort of remet a few old ones. Actually I was disappointed by a lot of the artwork, and that is what I come for mostly so bah. Disappointment! Did remeet Nicholas Gurewitch and the end of the day (when his line had almost vanished). He remembered me! How cool. I met Tim Sievert at the Top Shelf table. He was really sweet(and easy on the eyes) and when I flipped through the comics I was in awe of his octopuses (again with the Stumptown octopuses...)and his art in general. So his comic was the first that I bought of the day. He didn't know how to spell my name(I asked him, "what kind of a nerd are you?") so I wrote it in the book and he signed it. And DREW AN OCTOPUS! He rocks. And asked me to please enjoy it. Awww. I saw Kazimir Strzepek from a distance a couple times but I never approached him. He was just visiting and didn't have a table. The Robopocalypse people had a table. It was a pretty badass spread that they had.

Spending Money:
I am being a good American and am spending my refund. It is my money and I earned it! And this only comes around once a year. I'm very good. I didn't really buy anything from the people selling. Well not the lonesome sellers. The prices were suddenly more expensive than last one. I can't randomly buy a lot of $15 comics! Even if they look good, that is still a lot of money and if I buy a couple of those then my budget gets killed fast. I bought a story/illustration collection, the comic from Tim Sievert, 3 scuffed comics for $10 from Oni, a grab bag of cheap comics ($1), a half off anthology of autobiographies, and I went back to the Top Shelf table and said "I have this much money left, any sweet deals you can give me?" And the guy who wasn't Sievert said, "I can give you Blankets for that." And I said deal. Now I have Craig Thompson's 500+page tome in my collection and I got it for a fairly good deal.

Friends:
I rode the train with Michal and Blair. Interesting ride. I met Matt pretty much the instant I entered the building. Nicole was manning the PNCA table. Andy was there looking tall. Karen was looking fabulous. Jim was also there being tall. I ran into Danny and that really surprised me. As evidenced by my, "I thought you were a dork, I never knew you were a nerd!" comment. Philip was there with awesome hair. It is cool now that I am getting to know more of the community. But damn there were some nerdy people there. Karen, Jim and I went to Lloyd Center and got lunch. I set off the alarm at Macy's a couple times but no one came running. The books I had acquired were not desensitized.

The Afterparty:
Karen parted ways from Jim and I. After I spent all my money there was little point to me sticking around. Also it was ridiculously crowded so meeting people was mostly a bust. So I hopped on the Max and headed back to the Goose. And Jim tagged along. There were some crazy shouting people on the Max. And a guy named "Ace Venom" that used to work with Jim. He looked exactly like you would imagine a guy who changed his name to "Ace Venom" to look.

The rest of the day was spent hanging out with Jim, fighting off a killer headache, sorting my new finds into my shelves, eating spaghetti, coughing, and generally not doing a damn thing about my finals. Whatever. I need rest. I am going to be getting exactly that in a few. Tomorrow the game starts.

No comments: