hi

hi

Saturday, March 8, 2008

grumpy. and then I get some chocolate in me.

Today was fun. I was a little grumpy for the first part as some of my plans had fallen through but eventually I got into it and had a good time.

I went to Seattle!

PNCA put on a trip to the Emerald City and I signed up. I didn't know our itinerary until we were on the bus so I didn't want to delude anyone into thinking there was possible hanging out time with yours truly.

I arrived at school on time at 7:55. We didn't leave for another 45 minutes. Leaving at almost 9:00 and trying to be back in Portland at 10:00 doesn't actually leave the greatest length of time to really see Seattle. They bus us around the U District and some sprawl of warehouses; it really takes away the chance from the people who have never really been to Seattle. I think they should leave considerably earlier. Hit the galleries early in the day and hit Pike's Place Market and Seattle Center later in the day.

The Henry had mostly boring exhibits. There was a great installation of tinfoil casts of the artists body at various stages of bending over. But the photography was just, "oh wow look I made my photos really big and shiny on nice paper" and nothing really moved me about them. The Frye had a great R. Crumb exhibit with videos of him comic jamming, his original drawings and comics, and even a few sculptures. I loved that. Diana, Robin, and I got into a wee debate about his offensiveness (ys he is offensive but that is stating the obvious. I'm looking for the, "okay yes, what else about him?" conversation). The next gallery had some photos of David Bowie lyrics on mattresses. It was cool how he found all the mattresses to write on but once I got it that was pretty much it and I was bored. Western Bridge had Isaac Julien's The Long Road to Mazatlan playing. I thought it was amazing. The video installation was three separate projections that were synchronized and it played sometimes three points of view of one scene, or a wide semi connected shot of the same thing, or entirely separate shots happening. It and the R. Crumb show made the trip worth it.

I was tired and grumpy up till around the Frye. Many of the exhibits bored me. We were not anywhere near Pike's Place so I was unable to swing by quickly and say hi to Llyw. The food was okay. I snacked plenty and the ride was fairly comfortable. Read some more of Choke. Was the trip worth it? I guess so. I wouldn't have done anything else with the day except sleep in. I'm doing that tomorrow.

We watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off going up to Seattle and The Royal Tenenbaums returning. Both enjoyable but I started to fall asleep on Jim during the latter. I rarely am in bed before midnight on a Saturday. Or a Sunday or a Tuesday...and many other days for that matter.

Jim and I walked Diana home and then I walked Jim to the nearest Max Station. Company makes everything go faster.

No comments: