hi

hi

Thursday, March 6, 2008

cake eating monkey

Went out to First Thursday. My first in a while (the weather has been horrible). I was originally going to go out with Lindsay and some of the boys that have been hovering around her lately but there were some complications about meeting up (I left my cell at home) so I went out with Karen, Diana, and Robin instead. We went to Black Fish (horrible digital prints and cute shrinky dink pieces), Elizabeth Leech (amazing collage work with puzzles) and a few other galleries. One had these heinous 80's paintings that we tore apart. With words of course. Karen said it reminded her of when you shave and you miss pieces and you have chunks left over. I said one was like Hostel II; better than the trash put out before but still pretty terrible. Diana just hated the majority of them. One of the Elizabeth Leech pieces Robin fell in love with. I think she is going to break into the gallery, steal it, run away and marry it.

We found our way down to the Pony Club gallery and took a gander at Erin's clock piece. It was cool but the gallery became stuffy and crowded really quick. I had to get out of there into the nice cool night. I am not claustrophobic but First Thursday might make me so.

I hit up Floating World Comics for my comics, boards, and bags (the latter two to put the new comics into). American Virgin was on its last issue and I must say FINALLY to that. The writing sucked and I was really just buying it for Cloonan. I also have two more Boys in and Doktor Sleepless. I am way behind in my comic reading. Hopefully Spring Break will remedy that.

After comics I met up with the gang again at Compound Gallery. They had a beautiful show devoted to Alice in Wonderland inspired artwork but it was insanely crowded so I couldn't enjoy it much. I'll come back later. We met up with Bebop and Elliot and some of their friends but Robin and I didn't stay around that long. We walked off towards PNCA/Goose Hollow together. We parted ways on 10th, her going South and myself going North. I was overheating from all the layers so I stopped and picked up a vanilla and caramel ice creme cone from the new shop on 11th and Johnson. It was delicious. I returned to PNCA, grabbed my stuff, checked out the hot security guard, and rode off into the night. I only needed a hoodie and my undershirts for the ride home and even then I was hot as I staggered in the door. Very tired! And still so much work to do.

I am a very safe bicyclist. I always stop at red lights and don't go through them even if I don't see anybody coming. I was ten seconds behind another PNCA biker today and they went through a couple red lights. Their dangerous biking only got them there about thirty seconds sooner. It isn't worth it.

Experiments in drawing was yet another work day. ARGHGGHGHGHGHGHG!!! WHAT THE HELL MODOU? This is like garageband with Gordon all over again. It is making me really frustrated and annoyed with the class. It is going no where. My piece is just all over the place and I add to it randomly. I'm going to add a few more Bigfoot and call it a day. I just don't know about it. Added some spray paint and that made me nauseous.

My break was spent painting my blanket and watching Project Runway out of the corner of my eye. Actually the painting turned out pretty fabulous. Working with a time crunch forces me to have more confidence in my color mixing and application.

This theme of speed carried over into my class today where Annie came by and confiscated my small brushes and told me I had 10 minutes to fill the figure with color. I managed to do it! Mostly! I had a few spots left but generally it was filled in by the end of the 10 minute deadline. The painting was, at the end of class, done! The first one! I'm amazing and rock so hard. Probably needs some more work but I filled the page and touched on every area of the piece. I'm so proud of myself that I could do that.

Cleaned up and went to the commons to wait for Lindsay. Ran into Matt who was sporting some snazzy glasses and a cool scarf. Gray really works on him. Tall Andy was around and a few other familiar faces. Ultimately I texted Lindsay on Karen's phone telling her I was going out with them. Swung by Craig's show (and once I figured out what was going on, I digged it) and briefly took another gander at Mia's.

Now to finish the last few sentences of my reading response and to stagger into bed.

No comments: