hi

hi

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

mom won't approve of this

Ohh I'm all mellow from the yoga. The old instructor, Melanie, isn't there this semester but Trisha, one of the MFA, is now teaching it. Another of the MFA, I think her name is Chelsea, was in attendance as well. Amanda, Jen, one woman I didn't recognize, and myself rounded out the yoga group to six. It was nice. She played music and introduced a few new poses. I will be sore tomorrow but whatever, it was great.

On the way back home I flipped off a motorist. Not very Zen of me. I was at an intersection and I thought I had right of way because it was only me and a car in my same lane. Little did I know there was a car in the other lane that didn't have their lights on (so I couldn't see them). They were not going fast and I only really saw them till I passed the man driving and motioning crudely at me. I sailed ahead of him and I heard "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK" so I gestured at him. I had right of way again so I didn't really stop at the next intersection and yet again "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK" and yet again I gestured. He shouted something at me but I was already blissfully on my way. Some people just don't know how to drive, or really hate bicyclists. I've had several honks because I ride in the car lane on Jefferson so I can turn easier onto 14th. I get honked at because I am in a lane for one block. People get so pissed off because they have to slow down for one block. And it isn't even a full block, it is a bridge over another street.

Drawing was another critique intensive class. We also had a speech from a thesis student who needs help with his project. Sort of, assistance help. I might do it. Amina came in at 10:20 (class starts at 8:00) and Modou just motioned for her to leave and told her to come back Thursday. He followed her out and came back in. Later in class he mentioned something that was for our ears only. If he follows through with it I will be very proud of him. Amina later said she had a doctor's appointment but more on that later.

During the Drawing break I photocopied the comic club fliers that I made last night (they look awesome) and after class I put them up. I also grabbed a few more titles from the library. They now know me by name there. Booyah! The ride home was slow (the books weighed a great deal) but the weather was nice so it didn't bother me.

I watched some more Project Runway and looked up some reference material for my painting assignment. I left a little early to print out material.

I only managed to get my sketch done during painting class. My landscape is also a little more involved than some of the others. Well maybe not more involved but it has more invented details and specific little things. Not to say I am better, I am just going to be spending more time on this piece. Less a generic landscape than a full scene. And we have to pay attention to lighting and I am doing it at night. Hooo boy.

So yeah, we were having a talk in class about how critiques in the Illustration classes play it nice and Amina gave her two cents and it went a little downhill and I think she hates me:
Me: Our drawing class, people don't really feel the need to be nice. Some are mean.
Her: I don't see you being mean.
Me: I don't see you showing up to class.
Her: I had a doctors appointment.
Me: Well Modou is fed up with you.
(At this point it is a little muddled. Something about how she had an appointment and talked about it with him and I warned her that Modou was not happy)
Her: Just because I don't buy into the elitist art school standards.
Me: It isn't buying in. It is an education, you are here to learn. Someone somewhere is paying a lot for this education. It isn't elitist. (Something something). That is just my opinion.
Her: Well your opinion sucks.

And that is where it ended. She got up and left three times in the first hour of class and shortly after our discourse she left for a long amount of time. I have no patience for people that don't want to learn and don't take interest in the work of others. At this stage and class level, there is so place for self centered people who are not open to change.

I try not to gossip about people in my blog. Diana said that when it comes to blogs, you should write them like you expect every person you don't want to read your blog is reading it. She has been someone who has irked me since the first time I met her. One time she knocked on my door when it was almost Midnight, wondering if I was up to hanging out (I was in my pajamas, trying to sleep). I try to hold my tongue but I really can't put up with people that I think don't try when it comes to their education. Being here is very important to me, it takes a great deal of work to keep up (even if maybe it doesn't seem like it from my blog) and to try to figure out why I am doing all this. My family is supporting me in ways I will never be able to repay and I don't think I can ever fully show them how much they matter to me and how much I appreciate their support. Modou said being here is a privilege, and it is. I am extremely fortunate to be receiving a college education, and an art education no less. This isn't some lazy stereotype, this is something that is not normal and is forcing you to recreate how you think about how the world is put together. The ability to imagine and to create; that is powerful. I am being given than power. Am I punishing her because I don't think she realizes how great it is to be here? Yes. But I cannot abide lazy people, they have no purpose here.


Then Jen and I went to yoga. The hot security guard shaved off his beard and ugly hair, now he is hot again. Yay!

No comments: