hi

hi

Friday, February 22, 2008

Robin, saint of birds, tea, and shoulder rubs

200 posts in my blog. I have been in Portland for half a year now, it will be exciting to reach the one year mark. It is a beautiful city filled with lovely (if occasionally honky) people.

Drawing was mostly a "further your idea" work day. I did several watercolors and was starting to work on condensing the figures when Modou stopped by and gave me some advice, suggested some artists, and generally hung about and talked with me about what I was working on (he said it was good). He showed me some images from his computer and someone text messaged him while he was on it. I like it when teachers are as human as the rest of us. Class went fairly quickly once I got a better idea of what I was working on.

Rode home, relaxed, ate some pasta, didn't read my comic and didn't work on my painting. There was a double movie gossip interest that popped up on the Internet that I had to investigate. Charles Burnes' Black Hole is being adapted by David Fincher and Roger Avary and Neil Gaiman are doing the screenplay. Fincher and Gaiman!!! That is perfect. This movie will be great. Also the Akira live action is underway...sort of. It is amazing how just the anouncement of a movie, the mere idea of its possibility, how excited it gets the fans. Wheee! Black Hole, I can't wait.

Soon it was time to head to school early to type up my idea behind my landscape. Lots of gibberish about semi-amphibious fish with air sacks and people living in stilt houses in shallow water. I think it is pretty cool. Didn't get as much done in painting as I would have liked. Some of the under lighting looks good, I think once I get more completed it will come together. It is a slow medium and somewhat tedious medium (I am also making this probably more complex than it needs to be).

Rained a little but not enough to warrant rain pants (I had them with me though). I started in on my much neglected Comic Lit reading: The Last Island by Alex Cahill. Cahill is a PNCA grad and the comic was his thesis. He will be in class tomorrow so that is exciting. It read quicker than I thought it would (sure it was a comic with no words but it was obviously written so that you moved through it quick). The panels didn't have much to linger on, they worked better when put together as a narrative than left alone. Uhm, yeah. I liked it, looking forward to tomorrow.

I had pasta for lunch and Annie's pasta for dinner. Both were large portions and I finished them both off completely. Uhhg.

There was another comic jam at Karen's tonight. It was only a single page that was based between Her, Robin and myself. It was about my career as a performance artist. At one point I was in a rabbit looking, fish printed, scuba suit with glow sticks, a snorkel, and fins. It as pretty rad, if I must say so. Then we helped Karen stuff fliers under PNCA doors and then it was off to bed for us all!

No comments: