hi

hi

Friday, February 29, 2008

hitting the (pink) bottle

How ever smart you think I am, I am evidently not that smart.

So in drawing we were just working on our pieces further (the critique was postponed until more people decide to show up). I was working on mine and I noticed the ink wasn't mixing with the "water" that I had poured out of a bottle I found. Surely a bottle with clear liquid in an art room must contain water? Uh huh. Anyway to find out what it was I decided to take a wee drink.

It wasn't water.

A little later I whispered to Lindsay about how my stomach wasn't feeling too good and I explained why. After her initial Trillian-why-are-you-so-stupid look she asked me to show her the bottle. She said that it smelled like soap (and it tasted a little like it) and that I should probably take some tums and eat some food. So I went and bought some tums and Pepto Bismal and munched munched munched. My stomach felt queasy for the rest of class but once I arrived home and ate some pasta my health improved. Later Karen advised me on how to test things you are not sure about. Her scientific process involved dipping your finger in the substance and testing your finger. I've learned my lesson (no I haven't, I did the same thing in my chemistry class years ago). Mom, don't worry. I'll play it really really safe. The bottle wasn't a "this is used for chemicals" bottle and that is why it confused me.

Modou painted on one of the German girls works and she let out a pained sound in between a moan and a scream. He erased part of Lindsay's work. He liked my work but the class is wearing us thin. It is random and all over the place and I'm not sure how much I am really growing from it. Hmmn.

Brilliant sunny day again. I worked a little after class in the print lab washing the sugar lift off my plate. Took longer than I expected it to but it came off decently enough. At home I just kicked back and stuffed my face with food and pink liquid. Also did my reading for class. Mostly Charlie Brown and Charles Schulz stuff.

Painting was the same thing as on Tuesday. I came right on time which meant I came too late to grab a desk. Karen and Jen scooted theirs together and I sat between them. I only managed to get about 70% of the models skin completed. The hands looked great (Annie gave me a compliment about them) but it was largely unfinished. I can't paint fast.

After class I returned to the print lab and applied aquatint to my plate, heated it, etched it, and did a quick print. A continuing education student was in the class and I asked him quickly about applying the aquatint and he gave me a scare when he said he had never seen anyone apply it like I was about to (well I think there was an error in communication and he thought I was applying it to a print that had sugarlift still on it). Now afraid, I cranked up the aquatint box and placed my plate in for a few minutes. It went in and out without much of a hitch and it melted on the hot plate quite evenly. Etching went well, as did removing the aquatint rosin and hardground. I did a quick print just to see what it looks like and it looks wonderful! I can't wait to etch it further with hardground. It needs some clear definition into what is going on but the tree looks fab. I will etch it tomorrow but no printing.

Rode home, read some more about Schulz, Lindsay came home from her daaaaaaaate and we gabbed, then we watched...yup you guessed it, Project Runway! Tomorrow is a new Lost episode online for me to watch, I'm so excited! These weeks are a real busy crunch time but I think it is almost over.

My stomach is all better. I was almost hoping to burp bubbles but no such luck.

No comments: