hi

hi

Friday, August 31, 2007

the joker says what



Just got back from watching Batman in Pioneer Courthouse Square. Gee whiz was that cheesy! The Joker was great but yeesh, everything else is so dated! Thank God for Bale, but will Ledger be as good? He will be a different kind of good.

Well this orientation was good. Learned stuff, really met people and got a better idea of it all. Waking up early is a pain but I'll get used to it. Lindsay and I walked to school, a nice trot and the weather was mild so I wasn't oozing sweat like I normally do after that long of a walk. Ate some free Krispy Kreme and some OJ and things got quickly into the daily introductions. I ran into Israel again and asked if anyone has ever told him that he looked like Rich Hall before, and he said no. I get that I look like Kirsten Dunst...well I've only gotten it about four times but that's three times more than I've been told I look like Avril Lavigne and those are the only celebrities I've been told I look like. Well, upon Googleing Rich Hall I guess he doesn't look much like him...at all. Don't know what put that thought in my head. I think it might be the eyebrows? I hope he forgets and doesn't Google him or that he doesn't look me up on the PNCA homeroom and reads this, seeing as how I link this from that site.

The technology presentation guy was a little bit whacky. Before his presentation he played really intense operatic movement and sort of did a dance along with it, then his presentation about technology rules (and lots of Apple product placement)was overloaded with cute pictures of kittens, puppies and other adorable stock art. Then we did a group art project where we were sorted into tables and we each would draw a part of someone else on a paper and then change papers and draw a part from someone else. Rather fun, my features that were drawn was my flowery top and my hair swoop. Learned more names: Maryanna, Fiona, and Will.

After bonding over drawing we went to little overviews of the the different majors offered at PNCA. I ran into Karen and Sean at the illustration overview. The teacher was enthusiastic, but the room was really lifeless. A lot of the PNCA classrooms are dull looking and no frills. To be spiced up by the students I guess. I met Mallory and Garrett (Garett?) through our mutual interest in Grant Morrison and comics. Thus far those two are the only people who I've met who share this interest, sort of disappointing but I guess less genre competition? Mallory, Karen and I decided to check out painting. The nice guy there explained some of the international programs, which sound really cool. There are semester ones, month long, and weeks long programs all over the place. Would love to participate in one.

Next was glorious lunch. Ate my sandwich with Mallory, Karen, Mike, and three other people whose names escape me. I finished up early so I went and sorted out my stuff with registration and whatnot. Changed my address, paid for my portfolio starter package (which has so much stuff and is really heavy and will NOT be fun to lug around), and told the nice lady about my transcript being on its way. I won the raffle during lunch (actually I won yesterday as well, Kendra also won a second time today) and got a teeshirt, yesterday I got a gift certificate for Yo's cart.

The following talk was just about the need-to-know names and who you go to if you want anything. They went through it all so fast, I should have taken down notes. Oh well, I can always ask. PNCA has so many programs and it is set up so well. I can't wait to utilize all that it has to offer. Can't believe I start in four days (FOUR DAYS!!! AHHH!!!!) it is here all ready. Just seems like yesterday Marchetti was suggesting I'd just be doing art as a hobby in my future.

Then we were given a break and I played some pool. We all couldn't really play which was the fun. I did manage to get two balls into pockets within one turn, go me! Didn't get any in after that, but I still won because Heather accidentally pushed the Eight Ball in.

There was a reception for us at the Museum of Contemporary Craft so as a big group we meandered that way, stopping in at a few galleries. I couldn't wait to go home, my feet were killing me after being on them all day but I couldn't pass of free food so I went on the tour (a lot of people didn't). I managed to get back to PNCA to pick up my portfolio (they let us set them behind the front desk so we didn't have to carry it to the gallery) and get back to the streetcar just in time. It got well packed and I got off with some fellow PNCA peeps. The portfolio is HEAVY and HUGE, I hope I can figure out an easier way to lug it around. The strap hurts my shoulder, I don't know how I'll deal with it if I bike, and it is so unmanageable. But that was just due to it being stuffed with goodies, once I thin it out it should be better.

It wasn't long relaxing before it was time to group up and go see Batman. I brought my banana bread and Beth, Kendra, Alisa, Matt, Mike, Chris, M, and I got there with plenty of light and nabbed a pretty good spot. They gave out free popcorn (massive amounts of free popcorn) and tossed glowy cups (Alisa got one)into the crowd. Lindsay met us there and we all had a jolly good time with the kitsch.

My banana bread went over pretty well, I think I'll make another loaf for the pot luck tomorrow. There are talks of going to the art museum but it is pretty early so I think I'll give it a pass for now (probably will go for school anyway). Tomorrow, I think I will get sneakers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the second day of orientation was better than the first day. It will be interesting to see how the operatic teacher turns out...