hi

hi

Monday, May 9, 2011

mummies day

I have this feeling in my toe, like that I want to pop it but it won't pop. Hmmn.

Well I didn't get a call so I can only assume I passed my paper. Hurray!

Slept in. Relaxed. Figured out what size of paper I'll need to get for my thesis zine. It was raining off and on all day. It's spring, so I guess that can be expected. Watched some Doctor Who.

At 5:30 I went to Utrecht and bought a thing of sketch paper that was just the right size. Also got another micron pen. Talked to Heather who works there, then went to school. Scanned in all my sketches. Photocopied them and then organized the layouts. It's weird that this is my last one, and when I look back at them, I tend to add a lot more to each page. There is less empty space. I wonder where that style came from? Anyway. Also designed a little thank you poster for Martin because he has been an awesome mentor and I figured making a little poster in the style of my thesis posters (without the back side text) would be a good final gesture of thanks and appreciation. Or it might be creepy...?

Anyway. Went to the lab. It was crowded with what looked like MFAs. I figured they were MFAs because they knew what they were doing but I had never seen them before. There was this one chick doing this massive silk screen, where it had to be printed in sections. She must have exposed that screen 10 different times, just to fill in three colors. A big task, though I couldn't figure out what was going on in her image. But by the time I got to printing, I got my space to work with. Finished listening to Odd Thomas. I think I was expecting it to be better. It had some good language but it was trying too hard at trying too hard. Went back to Sherlock Holmes. Printed the one side of the silk screen zines. Then printed the two color Martin thanks print. Then printed the other side. Got outta there at 1am, and very hungry. I put up a few of the thanks posters on Martin's office door and went home and made myself a scramble and watched Game of Thrones and then The Borgias. Man I love costume dramas with dynamic actors.

But now I'm all "what if the posters are taken as a weird gesture and not a nice one?" "maybe I shouldn't have put them on his door, and just folded one and put it in his mail box". Too late now. He's been a good teacher and mentor. I think it is just starting to sink in that pretty soon I won't be seeing these people again for a while. I'll leave and who knows when I'll come back and say hello. Who knows if this is the last time for the majority, even? These last little things to hold on. I do want to leave Portland but damn it is going to suck not having some of these wonderful people around me. My friends. My teachers. This community. Maybe someone will magically give me a job by the end of May and I'll stay. These past four years have suddenly just gone by. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was typing away all excited about going to school for the first day and hauling my drawing pad and meeting people and going to Hot Lips. But it also feels so very, very long ago. This past four years have been an exhausting, emotionally trying, spiritual, enlightening, full of change and growth...time. And now they come to a close.

Finally.

Ultimately.

Maybe I should just go to bed, it is late.

Todays Portrait Is: Jay Kay.

No comments: