hi

hi

Sunday, February 13, 2011

beggar & trobrianders

I'm reading The Gift (it is 3:47 as I write this first chunk of blog post) and it is stirring a lot of thoughts. One of them is how linguistically, words that are in fantasy books shouldn't be in them because the world lacks the origins that the word we use has. Such as "beggar", which comes from the Beghards, that are these 13th century friars from Flanders that wander and beg. Fantasy novels that have no Beghards because there is no Flanders should not use the word beggar, because the origin of that word doesn't exist. Still, to pick apart every word would be time consuming. I think if I wasn't studying art, I'd be studying linguistics.

Went to Trader Joe's. Got vegetables a plenty. And baby spinach so that I can spruce up my salads even more. Tons of apples. Bread. Egg. Meat. Yum. I have a new episode of Top Gear waiting to be watching, but BACK TO READING!

*****

Reading went pretty well. Went down to the studios to draw Dominic for thesis. It went really well. We pretty much just sat and chilled. He worked. I drew him. Nice and loose. Smaller images, and he didn't hold still. They turned out a lot better. Four images drawn. Didn't take that long. And if I work on enough of these, I can create a good body of art. Just need to draw draw draw hang out draw. I love that part of my thesis is hanging out with people. All part of the process. And the more I know about my process, the more I can speak about it. So happy that that went well. Also had a good conversation with mom that lifted my spirits and stresses. Mum is so supportive. Love her.

After that I returned home and caved and watched Top Gear. And Episodes. And Shameless. But I worked on portraits! So after Shameless, it will be back to reading. And I have a lot of stuff to do tomorrow morning before class, so I think I will try to accomplish waking up early tomorrow. Make myself a scramble. I love scrambles.

Really loving the next two portraits that I made. I think I need to avoid pen. Ink is where its at.

Todays Portrait Is: Michael Anderson.

No comments: