hi

hi

Sunday, January 16, 2011

green and red, the unappreciated complimentary colors

Was woken up at the rude hour of 9am with a text from Rollyn asking if I wanted to catch the matinee of Green Hornet with him. I agreed and went back to sleep where I had a dream that I missed the matinee of Green Hornet and then I had to explain to Karen that Denmark is a country, not a city. She was wearing her dirndl and was planning to move there. Then I had to escape the bad guys through some docks and Venetian canals and did some parkour type stuff. Yeah. I woke up and then was afraid I would miss the matinee if I slept in any more. So I showered. Ate some breakfast and scooted out of there. Got in the theater right on time.

I really really really enjoyed Green Hornet. It was directed by Michel Gondry (Science of Sleep, Be Kind Rewind, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). It was less all over special cool effects like his movies tend to be, and more consistently well executed practical effects. That is to say, not a lot of computer stuff unless it was needed to amplify a bit here and there. Seth Rogen was great. Maybe not the biggest stretch of his acting, but he carried the super hero role well. Jay Chou seemed to muddle his lines here and there, but he was good. Loved Christoph Waltz as the baddie. It was just really fun all around. Good effects, nice color useage. There were some Gondry moments, but the fact that he was pulled back a bit made his sense of flair have all that much more impact. The 3D wasn't really needed, but it did add a bit more depth to the real stunts. It would be fine in 2D, and it will age better than any of these super computer graphic heavy movies. I just saw it in 3D because it is only showing in 3D.

Parted ways and I rode back to my place. Ate some food. Drank some tea. Then I settled in to watch the Golden Globes and draw some portraits. Whooo! I'm glad Colin Firth won, he deserved it. Natalie gave a great little speech too. No major surprises.

Got three portraits done. I'm ahead of the game. It takes about an hour to do one. I need to get the time spent down. But that will take time. The likenesses are getting better. Now to, I dunno, eat some more stuff and do some more stuff. Might chill with Karen tomorrow. Need to get on my proof for the print portfolio. Need to think about composition and all that.

Todays Portrait Is: Matt Grigsby.

No comments: