hi

hi

Thursday, January 20, 2011

back in class and back on track

Oi vey, back to alarm clocks and all that business. Got up at 9:30am, like a champ. Showered. Made a massive scramble. Smeared some pretty on my face, and went out the door. Today's class is the second half of Advanced Illustration with Kristin Rogers Brown. It is an 18 person class, the Friday one is only four. Samala, Kevin, Jon and Sivonna will have a good time, I guess.

Kristin went over the gists of the class. We will be making a website, working on self promotion, working on art, and all that good stuff. Her computer crashed so we don't have a syllabus yet. The first assignment was to split into pairs and art direct one another. Madeline and I of course paired up. I art directed her to do a narrative illustration of a historical criminal or con man. She art directed me to design a portrait + text logo that would be used in web, shirt, and mail stuff. Love it! I wasn't hungry so during lunch we watched Portlandia. Literally everyone (but Madeline) has seen it. So painfully true and it hits so close to home.

The rest of class was about the next project, which will be ongoing through the semester. It is to make a blog and to keep it going for the next 16 weeks. I'm just going to make it my Portraitoday blog. It's a good project. I can just take the time to design it better. The rest of class I worked on the blog and sketched stuff. Then I went home.

I had a brainstorm breakthrough for my print project. So for the rest of the day, with a bit of a break, I sat in the bathroom and drew. I drew every object in our beauty cabinet. Every thing of eye shadow, every face goop, every hair band, every little thing. Took me three and a half hours. The idea is "uncurious cabinet". That is, a display of every thing that is in our cabinet. Lots of neat little drawings. Might end up being a minimal little print. I'm not sure how I'll arrange them just yet. Tomorrow I'll sit at the computer and arrange them and then print out a proof and turn in the proof. Took a break to unkink my hunched back and eat dinner and watch Community. A pretty weak episode unfortunately.

Returned to draw the cabinet itself. Now I'll work on my thesis calendar and idea for broader audience and visual language.

Todays Portrait Is: Sandra Scheller.

No comments: