hi

hi

Thursday, September 23, 2010

"I'm so jealous of your burrito right now".

Oops, forgot I wrote. Updated earlier, but not with words.

Yay weekend! And the next five days have a light work load. No animation to draw beyond reading. No big illustration assignments. Just lots of thinking to be done. Whoo!

But lets back up to the start of the day. Good old animation. We started with yet another drawl about a third of the class not having the files where they should be. Then we split into A and B and got to critiqued our walk loops. Tippi had a lovely sketchy one that sort of skipped. Cotey had this moose man that was shot in fours by accident. And a couple people misunderstood the assignment (no one reads the sheet, I guess. Oh well). I got a good laugh when mine came on and people really digged it. Kelly and Matt gave high compliments (the other group looked at all of ours). It feels good to do good. Rose paused it and when we were looking at the frames she said "look at that butt!". It had swagger, I must say.

Lunch! Talked to Karen a bit and then and put money down on a burrito. Food for all day. Yum. Ate a third, put it away. In class we looked at some Len Lye and talked about film and different film vocabulary. Then Rose brought out the 16mm film. Clear film. To be drawn straight on by us. WHOO! It was taped down to the table and we all worked in different sections. 24 frames a second. I did ink and nib drawings of a face and some scratched in ink stuff. I accidentally spilled my ink, but nothing was harmed! Kelly tripped as well. The white board is really....trip overable. But yeah, we filled up 2 minutes 30 seconds worth of film. We played it to different music and watched it several times. It was AWESOME. Hill's music synced up perfectly. It turns out that I had drawn upside down. Dang. Still, it looked cool. Very abstract, but some brilliant rhythms happened. Something I wouldn't mind playing around with some more.

Class was over then. Boo. I ate burrito, printed some stuff out, went to studio, and at 6:15 Karen, Madeline, and I headed down to the Museum of Contemporary Craft to see the Collateral Matters show and to get a special lecture from the curators Kate Bingaman-Burt and Clifton Burt. It was a show of the ephemera left from shows and receipts and stuff. Very much treating all these things like precious objects (Dad, remember the vase of Van Gogh's next to the painting of it?). We got some good talk on portfolio building and presenting yourself. It was cool. Walked back. Rest of class was a lecture on portfolio building and stuff. Karen, Kristen, and I looked at Madeline's portfolio and gave her our advice (I forget if it was solicited or not...). Shes amazing at digital art. Simply wonderful. We looked at Kristen's as well. It actually felt really productive. We were advised by the Burts to get a buddy and have them go through your portfolio and give advice, because they wouldn't have the same attachments to pieces that the artist does.

We left at 9:15. Wandered with Karen for a bit. Went home. Finished burrito. Watched Top Gear. Whooo!!

Before I know it, school week is over. Course it is moving REALLY FAST! THREE WEEKS! AHHH!!!!

I am really loving animation. I'm glad I took it.

No comments: