hi

hi

Saturday, September 18, 2010

hula hoops, polish people, and the up and downs of being ill

My health keeps bouncing up and down and I didn't get a good nights sleep, but I have two days of happenings to report so lets get to it.

Thursday

Good night sleep. Woke up feeling good. Went to school and loaned Acey my copy of Blankets and deposited my check into my bank account. It was a horribly muggy day. The kind that looks cold but is actually warm and humid and you just sweat and it never evaporates.

And my bike tire ate my tote bag. It slipped off my arm and got caught and trapped in the tire under the fender. Thankfully I was stopped at a food line and some lovely people came and helped cut my bag out from my tire. No damage to the bike! Hurrah!

Treated Dom to Scott Pilgrim for his birthday. Even matinees are pricey. BT, Lacey, and Karen came as well. It is fun to have a crew to watch movies. I enjoyed it a lot the second time around, as did Lacey. Karen and Dom liked it. BT wasn't too enthused. He just isn't into silly I guess. Dom left to meet his brother and BT and Karen left for whatever they were doing. Lacey and I grabbed pasta. My sickness was coming back so I had to take leftovers.

We parted ways. I spent the rest of the day feeling icky and keeping hydrated and medicated. I forget what else I did. Just tried to eat here and there. Keep healthy.

Guantanamo Baywatch! I put on short pants and a Hawaiian shirt over a bathing suit, stuffed flip flops in my bag, and departed for the east side. I felt a lot better once I was exercising. The Works was pretty vacant looking on the outside. Mel and Jay were there. Morgaine came. Craig and Liv were right behind us when we were getting our tickets ripped. I was still a little frazzled from the bike ride for a bit (and probably being sick). I just drank water and loitered with assorted friends. There was a hula hoop in the beer garden and I played with that. The show started late. The first act was not Guantanamo Baywatch, but was some sort of caveman dressed group. The stage had a stage on it, and the rest of the stage had the sand floor that I worked on, and a giant dinosaur sculpture, and tons of little papier mache artifacts. It was awesome. People were encouraged to get on the stage and dance in front of the stage within a stage as sort of a performance for the people too shy to dance who sat in the audience. Anyway, it was super fun. Surf punk. I danced and danced and danced. Not very good. But I did.

Then it was a break time. I caught my breath outside. Then GB went on, and I grabbed the hula hoops from outside and hula hooped on stage! And other people did as well! WHOO!! I think I hulaed for about half the time, and danced a merry jig the other. I got so sweaty and energy and enthusiasm and just general free spirit and well being poured through me. It was GREAT!

I put the hula hoops back where I found them and chilled. Then hooped some more and got some free fries from one of the food carts! Then I hooped some more and this guy hit on me while I hooped. Finally I bid farewell to my friends and arrived home a tired sweaty mess.

I thought I would pass out but...

Friday

I didn't. I had a rough and restless night sleep followed by a horrible morning of intestinal issues. I took it nice and slow. I love have a five day weekend. I can take the time to recover and spend three days working hard as opposed to working hard for four or five days and having no time to recover while I do the work. I have no more TBA obligations Saturday-Monday. That is solid studio time right there. Booyah!

So I spent the day taking it easy. Ate here and there. And as my appetite grew back, I ate more. For dinner I went to Fred Meyers and got beans, rice, cheese, and tortillas. Cooked up my beef and made 10 burritos. I ate two and froze the other 8. Now I have a good thing to eat in a jiffy! It has dairy and protein and whatever the hell beans count towards in it! Healthy!

I watched Top Gear. Ate food. Rested. Regained health. Feeling good I went to see Radoslaw Rychcik/ Stefan Zeromski Theatre present In The Solitude of Cotton Fields. It was in Polish, but that was okay because the live performance had subtitles. There was a raised strip of screen about 15 feet above the stage (Winningstad Theater, not The Works) and the translation projected onto it. Two guys performed the play. They sort of danced and sort of broke down. They had a band which gave them a score. I couldn't quite keep track because I kept wanting to think it was a concert. It was amazing. Just very solid and dynamic. I only cried a little. I thought the video segment detracted a little, but it did break it up a little.

Yeah. Amazing performance to end the festival with. I wish I could have seen more, but I don't think I had the time for it.

Got back home. Now to try this sleeping thing and here is hoping it goes well this time.

No comments: