hi

hi

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

the land of no internet connection

Off to the land of no Internet: Pulali Point! Amazing how the world doesn't stop if you can't access your email.

Saturday:

Woke up at noon to find out it was time to get ready and go. Hand a quick breakfast of oatmeal and an egg. Nathan left to pick up Rubie and I waited for the updates on my computer to configure. Looks like I’ll have to wait till Monday to watch the new Doctor Who. Boo!

Eventually Ma, Pa, and I crammed into the truck and headed off. Mom worked on her sock monkey on the way. Another cold, wet day. Mom and Dad said they packed their swim suits. I highly doubt it will pick up enough for any of us to dare to swim in the canal.

This visit is a repair and modification one. Curtains, shed, and some other stuff. I worked on hemming the curtains. The rings have clips on them, so you don’t have to sew holes in the fabric. Where I sleep in Pulali has a large window right next to the bed, and that does not make it fun to sleep when you have the big moon RIGHT THERE. Anyway, now there are pretty curtains blocking that out.

We five went to the Shrimp Fest. There was only a little bit of shrimp representation. Mostly a lot of pop up displays and people selling their various wares. We bought some mugs and fudge and frozen shrimp, and then some corn and fried shrimp and shrimp cocktail. Mmm!

Nate, Rubie and I solved a cocker spaniel puzzle. The face on the dog was a little scary.

Celia came over for dinner. She brought a delicious pot of soup that featured shrimp. There was some garlic bread and a dream dinner. Dessert was fudge. Mmm!

Rubie brought out the karaoke. I sang Bohemian Rhapsody, and it reminded me how totally tone deaf I am. I can’t carry a tune. Oh well. Then Nate brought out his computer and I played the Portal game. I did pretty well and only needed a couple hints from Nathan. Played till mom yelled us to turn off the computer. Celia stopped by again with her cat Lulu. She should loan us a cat to kill the mice in this house.

Sunday:

I was looking at my watch upside down, so when I got up at what I thought was 8, it was actually 10. Still, way early for me. In the night I heard the mouse trap snap and catch a mouth. I heard its death rattle and a few seconds of clawing, and then silence.

Cold cinnamon rolls for breakfast and some tea. Eventually I wandered out to find the family members. Mum and dad were in the garden, so I joined them in their efforts. Mostly used a ho to dig out some grass.

Got bored of that. Nathan and Rubie came back from Kirie’s. We went inside for lunch. I played a few more levels of Portal. Nathan made chili and emptied out a bag of Fritos into it.

Nate and Rubie had to leave to Tacoma to finish up homework.

I brought down Grandpa’s typewriter. Still works, except for the 1 and ! key. Pretty cool when you can turn on a thing after years of use and it is still functional.

Ma, Pa, and I worked together to make a trellis. I screwed in screws and measured and cut planks of wood. It looks quite nice, and no one fell down or got hurt.

I took a nap. Dad took a nap. Mmmm nap. The bed upstairs is ideal for napping.

I made a sandwich and watched some Treme. Then mom made dinner. Shrimp, rice, and chicken! I was full up before the chicken course. Then we played Settlers of Catan. Mom pulled a decisive lead and I was pretty much behind the whole game. Boo.

Celia stopped by and we watched the family movies that Uncle Rolfe and Aunt Alison switched over to DVD. Pretty much all was new to us. The reels we are familiar with are elsewhere. We fast forwarded through school trips and many many Victoria trips. I got some good screen captures of everyone when they were younger. It is amazing how readily identifiable the family members are, even when the picture is not so great. Dad had silly hair.

Monday:

Woke up. Finally washed my hair. I was snuffly so I took an antihistamine, which promptly knocked me out for two hours, which ended up being all of Rolfe and Alison's visit. Oh well. Then it was time to pack up and get the planer from Celia.

The sun finally came out. Not warm enough for swimming, but warm enough to not need a sweater. The ride back slowed to a crawl for about ten minutes.

Unpacked. Queued up Doctor Who. Hot tub time! The day passed by quite quick. Before we knew it, it was dinner time. Then 9pm. Then sleepy time. It is good to be back, but it was good to be away. But mostly good to be in a comfy bed with no mice.

No comments: