hi

hi

Sunday, April 11, 2010

treme or the pacific/mischief managed

For only being out of bed about eleven and a half hours, I got a lot done. Well I got a fair amount done.

Traded comics with Jim at school, I've been holding on to Hard Boiled for a while, and he has had my Invisibles. Then I got to printing! Emulsion applied like a champ, photocopied my stuff on the big new shiny photocopier, and got it exposed and all that good stuff. My next in class silk screen project is going to be a bandanna! I will also print a design on a box for the bandanna to go in, because I will be selling it. I have a nice bolt of tan fabric, that should yield about 10-15. Karen said you can buy little flat boxes at Paper Source for 45 cents, so I'll check that out. This project also buys me time to think about a larger, more complicated final project.

Today I just printed a print for Dom's The Art of Broke Off thingy. A little fundraiser to cover his medical bills that he incurred while skate boarding. It is nice to balance ones artistic life with things not done for school. And it was fairly simple, just text and image. Sort of done in the same tune as the Odd Owl poster (bold text, line work). You can see the print in the post below this one.

Came back from printing. Organized paper into a four by four foot sheet. At first I was going to write the letters on the sheet, then paint on separate paper and cut out and place on, and then pain straight on the sheet. I ended up cutting out the letters in white and just having those to put up. Put up where and how? Well I can't rightfully do that, so I'm pleading the fifth. But it looks really good and I hope it lasts. It is my final Homeland project. The words are: "If you love someone, let them know". So if you see that somewhere in Portland, it wasn't me. Someone ripped me off.

Came back, put packing tape over the ridges on my puppet. I'm using it to bridge the ribs, so that it won't dip. I also only need a small area to be smooth, the rest will be covered in fabric which will be the hair. Also, probably the bottom four inches will be cut off so I can get my head in. It is really taking shape. Steps next to do: papier mache over the tape, do about two-three more layers over that. Cut off the bottom and fit my head and shoulders into it (it will rest on my shoulders, with some supports). Once that is sorted, probably another three layers of papier mache to reinforce those cuts. Then figure out the eye hole, which will be where the mouth is, which will indicate where the nose will go. Construct a nose. More papier mache layers...Figure how to rig it on my head. Once all that is sorted, then I can start painting. I don't want to paint until it is sturdy and stays on my shoulders.

Didn't check off all the things on my weekend check list, but the things I didn't were not as important as the things I did.

Now, I think I'll watch the new HBO show Treme. It is about New Orleans and stars Steve Zahn. I'll tell you how it is mom, I know how much of a far you are of Zahn (and I'm a fan as well).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try thick foam pads to elevate it a little off your head and to centralize it. Let it squeeze your head a little - not too much but just enough to stabilize it. Sounds like a good project.

Dad