hi

hi

Monday, March 22, 2010

poster layers

Saturday:

A really do nothing day. Katie was out and about so I was in the apartment alone. Sat on the balcony a bit. Brilliant sunny day. Karen came over a little after six. We had a beer and chatted. Phil came over at around 8 and we all played a few quick rounds of Munchkin. Amazing how the rules came flooding back. Next came Halo. And Star Wars. Katie came home. The night wore long and I just went to bed instead of blogging.

Sunday:

Tidied apartment. Watched a lot of Six Feet Under. At least 7 episodes. Breaking Bad is back and the episode was a great season starter. Exciting, resolved some stuff, brought up promises of a great new season. And I sat and worked on my poster. It is amazing how this:

takes almost four hours to do. Maybe more. I wasn't keeping track. Ages to draw the font to scale within an 11x17 section. A careful hand to outline. An even carefuller hand to fill in the spaces with ink. The L is totally too heavy and I'm not sure about the W. The lines are uneven, but an organically drawn type will look a lot better printed than one I found on the Internet and blown up. But yeah, took a long long time. Compared to this:
Which took about an hour to draw the body and I'm only about an hour into working. The figure will overlap the text in a two color poster print. I think it will have a cool effect. I'll be adding a lot of linework in her dress, legs, and hair, but there will be no flat blacks. Even the lines around the figure are not fully filled in. It is a lot of fun and I can't wait to start printing it. I think I'll start that process on Tuesday. Hopefully print one layer each day.

My drawing set up is a drawing board that sort of rests in the nook between my desk drawer and the top, and balanced against my waist. I reach over the board to get ink, or fiddle with my computer. My chair is not a good height for me. I oh so wish I had space for a proper drawing desk, but I so rarely work big.


myspace.com/oddowl

1 comment:

Karen Sawyer said...

dude, your typography is fantastic!