hi

hi

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I don't know what it is about 3:45pm

Had one of those weird nights where I wake up at 3am totally convinced it is time for me to get up. At 4am I figured out I could spend another three hours in bed and went to sleep.

Helping Anthea and Christy was pretty easy. I mostly counted paper and helped carry things around.

For being 11-5, Homeland actually moves pretty fast. We had a half hour discussion about what we are thinking about doing once school is finished. My answer was "make comics along side a job job, travel the country promoting myself, met nerds and be all "heeey!!". Nothing major. Travel. Printmaking. These things are what I want. Joey gave a little talk about some artists. Then we discussed how massively horrible the readings were. Just in content, not writing. So brutal.

Stapled and cut my new zine during lunch. Bought a burrito. Ate half. Went back to class.

The first critique was for Travis' thing. He played a video from a scene of Walker Texas Ranger and had us haul wood back and forth. All of us. He just told us to disassemble the pile of wood on one side of the room and haul it to the other side and reassemble it, and when it was all collected we were to do it again. From the start of the clip to the end was how long we had to work. At the start we just walked back and forth but when it became apparent that the clip wasn't short, we formed two lines and passed the wood like that, from person to person. This whole performance lasted about 20 minutes. Seriously. There were a couple moments when it seemed like the clip would end, but it didn't (the clip was projected on the wall behind us). Actually, it was pretty well thought out for a performance. It drew up the symbolism of the every day worker versus the media focused hero, and the forming of groups to make the work easier, and how we just kept with it because there wasn't really another option (if someone stopped, they would be the jerk for doing so).

Then Bryan had some photos of zoo scenes without the animals. It was a reference to constructed habitat for creatures that we wanted to look at safely and think we were being good by protecting them in the habitat. The photos were taken in such a way that they really felt like they were missing animals. They were not shot like landscapes. It was a really thoughtful piece.

We talked some more about the reading. Daniel's friend from his college days Rafael came in to present his work. Poetry, collaboration. Barry Sander's class joined us for his presentation. Unfortunately I nodded off in the dark for no good reason and missed a lot of what he explained. I had two cups of green tea prior. No reason I should have suddenly become so massively tired. I have almost never had this problem with class before (with some Friday 8am exceptions). I felt bad about it, but I just couldn't stop myself! Thankfully Madeline nudged me awake.

A clip of Necessary Monsters finished our class. 30 minute power nap and then yoga! It was a small class, and we did lots of hip openers and breathing. It was nice. The lunges are really difficult for me.

Went home. Finished burrito. Started a TV show queue and jammed out my illustration work. I'm really pleased. I didn't expect to do as much as I did. I'll scan and post my cover concepts tomorrow, promise!

No comments: