hi

hi

Friday, January 8, 2010

shiny themed!

Right now, at 1:39am, is the first time I have been in the apartment for more than a minute since 10:40am. Spent the whole day out.

I agreed to help Natalie screenprint in exchange for a free meal and a print. The free meal took the form of a caramel steamer and a granola chocolate chip caramel thingy from Urban Grind. Pretty good. Natalie had a tough time learning how to screenprint, so I was sort of reteaching her so she could finish the projects that she had an extension on. Taught her the Trillian Method® of printmaking. And she was quite enthused. She really liked how I taught her and said many many times that she couldn't have done the project nearly as well without my help. And I must say, it turned out wonderfully. I showed her how I apply emulsion to a screen and drilled into her how important it is to start with a good emulsion base. Then we got lunch with Karen. Then we used the transfers she made and put them on the exposure unit it, set it to 60, and set it to go. We got the ink ready. Karen showed us how to do a "smear test" with ink to find out its true color. Because the stacked pigment shows up differently than it does actually spread out in a print. And all that. We put layers 1 & 3 on one screen and 2 & 4 on another. We got a good pace going. Registered with tape for the first one. Helped her pull properly and flood the screen. By the last layer, about 5 hours later from 11am (when we started), she was printing on her own with confidence and gusto and did really well. Karen and I helped explain why certain things happen with ink. Showed her the use-mylar-every-time method of getting neat and tidy prints.

She had a really good edition to turn in by the end. Looked really really nice and Natalie was ever so greatful for the help. I tell everyone I'll teach them how to print, but few take me up on that offer. I felt really good that I helped her in what was apparently a very clear and concise manner. Go me. Not that I want to be a teacher, but glad that I seem to have that ability.

And it does feel good to help people when they need and ask for it.

After Natalie left, Karen and I chilled out in the lab for about another hour. I shuffled through Olly Moss' Flickr and looked at his art. I have a huge crush on him now. After all that, Karen and I went in halvsies on a six pack and chilled in Robin & Diana's apartment for the rest of the night. We drank our Coronas and watched Spaced. Diana came home and we hugged and looked at art. Robin came home stuffed with food. We watched Shaun of the Dead and then an episode of Foyle's War, Robin's favorite show. Robin nodded off on my shoulder and Karen fell asleep as well.

Now for me to fall asleep. I have no plans for tomorrow. Will be nice to sleep in. Busy day. But awesome day. It is good to be back.

I think my 22nd Birthday Party will be shiny themed.

Oh, this morning I felt like I needed a new workshirt for the print lab. So I took one of Dad's old Singapore shirts from my too big teeshirt bag and cut the sleeves and collar out and sewed up the sides. The too long shoulders drape into little almost sleeves, and it has a nice loose, but still fitted, fit. Made a nice to article to wear in five minutes. Nice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you mean "shiny" like from the Sci-Fi gem Firefly? Remember the doc's little sister would say things were shiny...mummy