hi

hi

Thursday, December 10, 2009

earning money with my art

Net went down again. Oh well.

I took the 7:15 shuttle to school, which required me to set my alarm at 5:30, and get out of bed at 6ish. Uhg. Loitered for about 20 minutes. No one is at school till 7:30. Chatted with Serenity, who loved my print box. I of course credited dad for helping with it. Gave her a Nomi Malone print.

I was second to arrive to History of Laughter. No chocolate pastries this morning. Oh well. We had another discussion about health and medicine and it turned into another “rejecting society’s conventions” pissing contest. Some of the people in that class are really annoying and go over my head. Also talked about Holden Caulfield. I think I’ll try to finish that book over break. Diana and Rachel liked my box.

Wore many layers, and I kept snug and warm through the day.

The room was occupied with more Schnitzer Collection prints, so I waited in the print lab with Cameron, Daniel, and Diana. They were editioning their prints. Both Diana and Cameron expressed delight with the print I finished last night.

The prints today left me almost hyperventilating. Francis Bacon, Man Ray, Alex Katz, John Currin, Marcel Dzama, Chuck Close, Longo, Armis, Devencorn, Lockney… Just masterpieces in our classroom. We could get our noses to the glass and not have any guard nag us. To be so personal with masterpieces was a moving experience. Cameron and I were looking at the Bacon and he asked me to pinch him. And there were more prints, more brilliant works made by people who have names that escape me. It was hard to focus.

We have to show a full sketchbook at the end of illustration class, so I’ve been sketching my classmates. I’ve got some good little sketches. I should make silkscreen transfers out of them and make sketchbook prints.

During lunch I went to the Global Studios presentation. The two summer programs are to China with Wei and Italy with Pelzner. I went wanting to learn more about the Italy program, but the China one captured my interest a little more. I’ll have to ask how much using airmiles will dock the price down. Italy is a month long homestead in Parma, China is a couple weeks worth of travel to Shanghai and Beijing. Something to think about. The forms for it are due in February.

Rest of class was spent discussing the potluck and the proper way to order our prints. And we discussed art a little more. The way we did our prints is we put out piles of our work and we went in a circle, collecting each others in numerical order. So I have 1/19 of Danielle’s, 2/18 of Cassie’s and so on. An edition is the series of identical prints you have made. I numbered 19 for the print exchange. The Christmas print is 20. The cards I sent home to friends and family is 29.

After we collected our amazing prints, I took a nap in the library. A really good nap. I was hazy from six to yoga time, and it didn’t help my haze wandering around the opening of the Holiday Art Sale. Crowds of people and way too fancy for me finger food. It took me a long while to find my comic (it was buried under some of the stuff in the box). Lots of people in nice clothes were buying cheap artwork. Some guy had a stack of Liz’s bowls and she was so happy because she was selling them for $20 a pop. Handmade bowls make good presents.

Yoga was held on the mezzanine. Tatum and Desiree were there as well. We did headstands and other wall exercises. I managed to catch Katie and grab a lift home. It sucks not biking, but I’ve been managing. And now I can haul a portfolio back and forth much easier.

Watched Glee (so good!) and then my internet cut out right as they were narrowing down the final two girls on So You Think You Can Dance. Worked on sketching Stephen Fry for my final project. I look at my thumbnails and it just looks boooooring! Blah.

I got a nice compliment from Lacey..Basset? I think that is her. Anyway, she said I had sparkling eyes. How nice is that? And Daniel said that Joelle Jones (the comic artist) saw someone pulling my cat print out of the box and said, “Hold on, I need to buy that.” Awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did there happen to be masterpiece artworks in your classroom? Is it part of the school's collection or on loan from the museum?

I was able to get three tickets to a Saturday the 19th matinee for Scrooge featuring Dan Stengel. So be sure to come home on the 18th!~mummy