hi

hi

Friday, October 9, 2009

big meanie, little thursday




Did I mention that Auntie Brynne sent me a little gift of skirts and tights? Well she did. I put on my black tights, my brown lace up boots, and my new short velvet blue skirt. It was very short. It was manageable to walk and trot in. Biking was tricky. But I managed. Felt like being fabulous. Natalie later confirmed I was fabulous.

The first batch of critiques was both harsh and good. Martin wants us to do our best and to get there he needs to be honest. My critique came at the end of class. Anyway, yeah. We reviewed our pieces for an hour and a half. Danny is doing Maori. Kristen is doing some horse tribe. Cassi and Chase are both doing some variation on Mayans. Madeline is doing uhh...something not quite Mayan. Beth is doing something to do with Alpacas. Luis is doing Mexico City youth subculture. Rachel is doing the Inu, I believe they are called. Samala is working with some Celtic imagery. And yeah, I think that is about it. Martin smiled as he commented on the thrashing he gave the other class. I think the German's have a word for that. Oh yeah. Schadenfreude.

I treated myself to Quizno's for lunch. Needed something serious to eat. Sat in the library with Kristen and looked at the Taschen book Cinema Now.

After lunch, Martin gave us a little shpeal on reference photos and for the next hour, a costume model came in and we took photos and had him pose and follow our directions. Our model was a little man with spandex and some bizarre things to wear in his tote. Like a unicorn costume. Uh... yeah. Still it was fun. Got some interesting photos, but I don't know how I will use this reference. Good to have a library of photos though. During his posing, the model consumed a banana. He stuck for a while in a stage with the huge wad of banana in his mouth. It was gross and too much for me to take and I had to turn away. I was teased and Martin joined in.

My stage two critique was: will my voice come through if I did a monotype? Why are you doing monotype? Are you attached to that medium? The cricket players are not that dynamic, there is a lot more you could have done with that concept. Probably will do the young married couple?

So my plan is to do the young Trobriand married couple. I will paint it, but use a very limited pallett. And then BAM right out of left field, I'll spend my time in monotype on Tuesday making the piece in that technique. Just to show how it would be. HA! It's time that I started figuring out how I will image make with this new medium anyway. Just playing around with it doesn't do anything for me.

I hung around after class and annoyed the remainders with my prattle. Danny and Kristen mainly. Just "look at this website" and "now look at this website" type stuff. Granted, they were cool sites. Eventually I got on my bike and went home. Harder going back in a skirt and than going to. Ate a pile of carrots and a bagel with shmear for dinner. Not the best but I keep forgetting to buy pasta sauce.

I packed Grandpa's suitcase with my hot boots, comfy shoes, and two changes of clothes. I am going up to Seattle for the weekend. Going to hang with Llyw, give him some Hammerpress posters, maybe watch a movie, probably play Rock Band, and overall have a relaxing time. I'll be back late afternoon/early evening on Sunday. See you guys then!

No comments: