hi

hi

Sunday, January 25, 2009

day and a fourth

The metal bleachers hurt my bum. Stupid, affordable seating. I dressed too lightly for the kind of weather that was happening, namely snow. Bloody snow! Nothing worth sticking but still snow. I met Jason and Joe on the Max. They were on the blue and we coordinated so they wouldn't have to get off and meet me. Jason had about four layers on, I had three and no scarf and thin jeans. It wasn't so bad but it wasn't that great either. We switched to the Yellow and rode it all the way to the last stop. I've only gone to the last stop on the Red before (for the airport). The Expo Center is huge! There were like, three events going on. It took us a while to find the Rose City Rollers. Well not a while but when we found them, it was fairly obvious.

It was great to see such a turn out. There were 8 bleachers around a flat, temporary rink (it was some sort of large, constructed rubber mat). They all filled up. We sat on the high part so we could get a good view of the whole thing. Our little trio was there about 45 minutes early. The show started with an awesome drum line and then two annoying announcers came out and gabbed. The teams were introduced and each member went out and posed. There was The Guns N' Rollas, the Heartless Heathers, The High Rollers, and the Break Neck Betties. I was rooting for the Heartless Heathers because their outfits were not showy and they looked serious. Roller Derby is where girls on skates go in circles and one person gets points by overtaking the other teams skaters after getting ahead of them and getting back around. There is a lot of shoving and pushing and falling and about 6 referees are needed. All the girls had pretty amazing toned legs and a few had awesome outfits. A fun thing about Derby is that all the girls come up with puns for their names. My favorites were Wreck Deckard and J.K. Rolling. The first bout was between The Break Neck Betties and Guns N' Rollas. It was close but GNR came out on top. They had a really good strategy. The points can get racked up fairly quick in Roller Derby. Heartless Heathers beat the High Rollers by nearly double in their bout. They were near 100 by the end of the half hour period.

Halftime had a not really all that good musical act. I was too busy waiting in line for the bathroom to pay much attention. A lady came by and directed the line to a secret ladies room father down the hall. No waiting! Hurrah! After that, Jason and I shared a lemonade slushie that had almost too much sugar for me. Chilly drink, chilly hall, chilly Trill, oh well!

The next two bouts were first the losers vs the losers and then the winners vs the winners. Break Neck Betties lost to the High Rollers by a larger margin. Near the end you could really tell how exhausted the players were. They just were not going as fast or being able to overtake one another. The Heartless Heathers won again by almost double again. They really slayed GNR. I rooted for them and they did it. Whoo! Roller Derby is fun but my attention would drift. It didn't change up enough that it was gripping for all two hours of it. At 9:30, we numbly staggered towards the yellow line. It was waiting there for us and we grabbed some seats. It became really crowded as its departure time loomed. We rode it to Pioneer Place and switched to the other train. A quick hug and a peck on the cheek was exchanged and I waved goodbye to Jason and Joe as they scooted off to Beaverton.

Katie and her friend Patty were watching Santa's Slay. I huddled up in my room doing other things for a while but I cam out when they put on The Hunger, a sort of Vampire movie from the 80's which stars David Bowie. It had nice direction but I was so tired that it went right over my head. Still, I watched it all and then went to bed.

Today I slept in! Big surprise!

I put on Dead Ringers and worked on the initial layout sketches for my first woodblock. It is going to be one of those pieces that several things collect together to make another shape. I am having several animals form to make a face. My face as it is for a self portrait assignment. Now I need to collect references and do a proper version. I also wrote out some ideas for my comic. Dead Ringers was WEIRD. It was good and it was a good psychological thriller but it left me feeling very disturbed. Jeremy Irons plays twin genius infertility doctors and their lives fall apart and they both go crazy. It was weird but well constructed. The madness descent was very balanced.

I finally finished watching A Very Long Engagement. Jean-Pierre Jeunet rocks.

I ate a gigantic dinner and then went over to Robin and Diana's for Munchkin and then I found out that they were preparing a dinner for all of us. I had a small little taco but that was all I could really manage. I was so totally stuffed. Beyond that really. But it is good to eat eat eat because some days I don't eat as much as I should. We played Munchkin Bites at first and it was fun but then we started exchanging riddles and word games and things and it fell apart. I left earlier than others. I wasn't feeling too good. Might have been the excess of food.

Tomorrow is the first day of my new Illustration Studio. New teacher. I heard that the class might be technique focused. Hmmn.

Initial thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Spencer. Thank you for the wonderful card, I promise I did not spend my birthday money all at once (I think I have some left even). Averie also sent me a card, that was awesome. Dad's fine wooden bowl is containing balloons right now and I am wearing the awesome Singapore shirt.

No comments: