hi

hi

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

my nemesis the tyger

Kristen and Kris have set their wedding date! January 10th! How exciting. And it is in Washington and Robin should be in attendance. Maybe some nice parents would let her crash at our place? I'd be there of course, but Robin is very nice. She'd never steal our chicken catcher or our elephant chair.

Morgan likes my figure scene. The next assignment is to do that, but make the figures more realized and have light and shadow in there as well. I'll have to put some extra time into that. Our thought web is getting huge. I added some parts to it. It is a large graphic stream of consciousness. I brought up Lisa Simpson's graph of happiness in relation to intelligence in regards to both the Homer Simpson strain of thought and the unhappy philosopher strain of thought. My figure drawings avoided shadow entirely and didn't have a strong defined contour for the most part. I am really improving with every class. I think I may just have to take Morgan's History of Printmaking class. He is too good a teacher to have only once.

Student Council had rice and stir fry. My fortune cookie said "you will be successful in romance". Diana is still the facilitator. Clubs were passed. I drew drawings that cracked Karen up.

History of Design FINALLY GOT INTO DESIGN. She talked about William Morris for an hour but it was mostly raving about how much stuff he did and showing pages from a book. I don't like how she shows us websites as an instruction tool over say, a slide show of images. It's like she took some "how to make education relevant to youngsters" class. She showed us some Art Nouveau people. All in all, I am still learning more from the textbooks. She really means it when she says we should "devour" them. Next class we give presentations about artists and have to use a website to talk about them. It should be fun, and it is always nice to have the students interact more. I did complete another full page of doodle notes. And she seemed overly modest about revealing some detail about the Moulin Rouge dancers. Karen was nodding off but I woke her up so she could see some of the Belgian architecture she was showing us.

Painting was devoted to finishing the homework. Farel was unaware that he needed to give a weeks advance for a model. Our next assignment is to draw a literary figure. I'm not sure if I'd tackle the girl out of The Stars My Destination again or pull something out of what I have been reading recently (or maybe revisit Piercing). Lots of options.

I picked up one of the Illustration annuals from the library. I love flipping through and absorbing all these new ways of doing and seeing things. Some of it wasn't that impressive to be but it did seem achievable. That is always a nice feeling: achieveability of success.

I didn't buy any lunch or anything today. Had a bagel and shmear for breakfast, free lunch, and a banana for a late afternoon snack. Thank you dad for the lunch advice! Anyone have other tips?

No comments: