hi

hi

Sunday, August 24, 2008

amaZINE

I've started to get into Pushing Daises. Lee Pace is in it. It is a cute concept for a mystery/romance. I'm only two episodes in. It is a ncie pace from all the heavy shows that I have been watching.

I got an email from the financial aid lady. I don't quite understand what she is talking about, it needs another looksie.

Jen called me up and got me out of the house for the Zine Symposium at PSU. It was crowded with hipsters. There were some nice looking gents there but in general, it was hipster city (which Portland is in general). One guy sort of forced his over priced comic in my hand to look at and seemed to take offense when I didn't want to buy it. Yeah, good way to make a sale there buddy. The Robopocalypse people had one and a half tables. They were all smiles and happy to see me there. There was minimal summer catching up. I was wearing my Thompson and Thompson tee and that was a great conversation opener.

I only had a twenty with me so my spending my limited. I bought a wonderful mini art book with great printing and line work, a smaller but wonderfully lined booklet, some zines about Wilhelm Reich, postcards that were Max Ernst reprints (seven for three bucks, amazing deal), and a two for four thing that also, you guessed it, had great lines. I look for in my zines: printing quality, rich lines, quality art, and overall presentation. Just because they are zines is no reason for them to be crap.

One guy I met at Stumptown I talked to, I wonder if he found it nice or creepy that I remembered him? If people didn't seem willing to talk to me, I didn't hang around their tables long enough to consider buying anything. The sure fire way to snag me in is to compliment my helmet.

Zines are cool, they are the thing to do to get out there.

Afterwards, I just went home.

My neighbour Drew and Amelia (Emelia?) knocked on my door. I made pot stickers but Amelia/Emelia left before they were finished. Drew hung around for a long while. We played with Cecine's snakes and watched some Youtube stuff. We, Drew and I, share a wall. He seems pretty nice. His stories of his various injuries made me think of Dad.

Speaking of Dad, I guess he got bored with making the truck more fuel efficient and made a hydraulic wood splitter. And here I was getting ready for some serious wood chopping action (when I visit home in 2012).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh - I had also milled some wood because of the price of store bought boards. Lisa got a store bought board for her new shelf project. Ikea economises on materials and makes some good designs for shelves.

JS