hi

hi

Saturday, January 26, 2008

eye of the tiger

I plungered a toilet in the studios today. It wasn't really stopped up for long so it wasn't totally disgusting. Sort of an average day of work, a little dustier and dirtier than normal, but it didn't take me long to get in the swing of things. And I finished most of one of my new "textbooks" during the downtime after I completed my tasks but still was hanging around.

My Illuminating Manuscripts class, which was the shortened title, is nothing about actual Illuminated Manuscripts. In fact the full title is: Illuminating Manuscripts: Comics, Strips & Graphic Novels. It is a class in which I buy and read comics and talk about comics. Huzzah! Booyah! And it is 300 level and there are some cool comic people that I know of in the class. The teacher seems really cool and the selected readings are pretty cool. A couple anthologies, Understanding Comics (of course), a work published by a PNCA grad, Persepolis and the very awesome From Hell. I am really excited for the class. We will also be doing a comic of our own in the end. Very cool.

As Trevor, the teacher, was sick we were let out early. I went to Powell's to get the books that would be mass printed and probably cheaper as it would have used copies. I picked up Understanding Comics and Sexy Chix(a female anthology which I read today). Also I picked up a paperback I have always been meaning to read and at the price of laundry, I went for it.

Went home and ordered From Hell used (very expensive tome) and the PNCA one I ordered direct from the source. I emailed Jason at Floating World Comics and put in an order for the remaining ones. Have to support my guy.

Sexy Chix had some great shorts but some of them just seemed caught up in girly novelties. As if being a lady you HAVE to make lady stories and you can't just write a story. I will probably form better opinions about lady writers as the class goes on. I look at my bookshelf of comics and out of all the Western ones, and out of 25-30 writers(not including the Flight anthologies where surely there are more ladies) the only females are Becky Cloonan and June Kim. I haven't even read June Kim's one. Is it bad that I have so many male written comics? Am I required to support my gender or can I just enjoy a story?

Anyway, after work was time for relaxing and then Karen, Robin, Chelsea, Kristen, and I went to see Persepolis. Today is the first day it was out. We got there about half an hour early and it was good that we did. It didn't really sell out but it was super full. I must say I loved the movie. I was taken in and moved and I even cried a little. It was simply beautiful and it really did convey the comic well while still leaving parts out. The comic is a must read if you decide to see this movie and I think everyone should see this movie.



Rose Bond mentioned if a movie bores her, she notices the cigarette burns. Ever since she said that I have seen the cigarette burns in the film and the shake as the movie transitions to the new roll. Only No Country For Old Men and Persepolis have brought me so in that I did not see them.

After the movie we hung out at Karen's. Robin made fried bananas and we played Apples to Apples. Chatting went long. Like till 3:15 am long. Sleeping in time.

I know how Art History is and looking at my schedule I am sure I can do this semester no problem. I have three art classes that require work and two reading classes. One is mostly done in studio (Printmaking) and the Painting class seems along those lines. I have no idea what to expect from Experiments in Drawing.

No comments: