hi

hi

Thursday, January 24, 2008

a theory about free will (and probably not a good one)

Painting Techniques is off to a running start and that is grand. The class has one person too many and so Jason and I shared a desk (it worked out because he is left handed so we were not bumping elbows at all). We made little transition squares where we went from complimentary color to complimentary color with a gray in the middle. It took me the better part of class to get it to work but I didn't feel really rushed. After we finished we were to do a still life where we mixed colors to get it on the first try as opposed to layering. The skin color for the doll turned out nice but after the collar, it fell apart. It looks to be a fun class, fast paced and lots of work and getting use of the materials I pay so dearly for. Jason and I whispered back and forth at our desk. The rest of the class was stone silent for whatever reason. Also the classroom had a heater WHICH YOU COULD TURN ON!! And get this: it worked. That is really rare at PNCA.

We had a little synopsis of our drawings in Experimental Drawing class. We just gave a brief rundown of which each one was and how we came up with it. There was no critique and no one laughed at me choosing Robert Downey Jr. for chaos. Boo. No critique followed. I think it was mostly because Modou didn't like the assignment that the other guy had given us (clearly not his assignment). Then we talked and talked. Talked about Art History, Art, and History. We introduced ourselves and we had trouble understanding some of what he said because of his accent. I feel sorry for the German exchange girls, they don't speak English that well and neither does Modou (well he speaks it, just with a thick thick accent). And next class we are going to his studio. Rock on. The classroom was freezing cold. I had all my layers on and still I was shivering.

Between classes I went home, ate some MORE gyoza, relaxed, watched the rest of Kill Bill vol. 2, read a little, and then scooted off early so I could buy still more art supplies. I had on leggings, pants, legwarmers, 3/4 length tee, tee, hoodie, pea coat, and a scarf...I was still cold. The only time I was warm enough was when I was in the class with the working heat.

I forgot yesterday was Michael's birthday. We Aquarius' have to stick together.

I finished Persepolis and have moved on to Epileptic by David B. It has a great style and lots of French theories about stuff. One of them was Raymond Abellio talking about free will. He (is quoted as having said in the book) said, "Our free will is circumscribed, it accounts for 1% of our deeds. Great political men or artists manage to achieve a higher percentage of free will." That bit got me thinking about free will and choice.

I define free will as choice but when you think what we have to choose from, our options are still limited and decided based on needs that come from situations beyond our control. We can choose what we eat, but we can't choose eating as a requirement. We have to consume something or we will die. And even then we have to choose based on what our body needs: protein, vegetables, etc. We are restricted based on the needs that just being human requires. I can pick out what I wear but unless the fabric and piece was made just for me, someone else picked the design and style and replicated it on mass. I can choose, but the selection, however massive it is, was already picked out so how much choice to I really have when there is still some limit? To have complete free will you have to reject everything that would be required. Having something required means there is something expected and mandatory about ones existence and then how much free will does a person have if they are born with all these things they have to do to maintain their human body. To reject everything you are required to do would mean you would die. Free will is compromised by just being human.

Or is just having a choice enough to be considered free will, even if what you pick from is predestined?

No comments: