hi

hi

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

my apologies to Mr. Fry

Done with my 9 drawing conceptual experiments in drawing assignment before midnight. Booyah! We had to draw what our idea of 9 words was. Sorta like the final collage for 2D design but with only two days to do it and 7 more things to do. Here is what I did:

Strong: a picture of Dad's hands because hes an awesome dude who is very strong in many ways.
Bright: a portrait of Stephen Fry
Elegant: a fashionable lady with pearls
Subtle: drawn words that read "everybody makes misteaks"
Chaotic: Robert Downey Jr. in ink that I've blow to make it run all over the place
Smart: some contour drawings of eye glasses
Beautiful: an assortment of colors because color is beautiful
Formal: a stencil outline of a man in a suit (taken from a photo of Peter Sarsgaard)
Expressive: just some crazy ink lines

So yeah, it is sort of obvious stuff right now but my mind isn't warmed up enough to say "this dot here shows the intelligence that makes up smart". I am most happy with the Robert Downey Jr. picture.

Fun and filled day. Got out of bed perfectly okay but I did not enjoy the lukewarm shower (probably the water is chilled from the subfreezing temperatures). Bike ride there wasn't so bad but the elevator halfway up the hill is broken so that first morning climb up is horrid.

I only have Printmaking: Intaglio & Lithograph on Wednesday, it also runs from 11:00-5:00 (with lunch). Class started a little late as we were waiting for people to show up. Yoshi, the teacher, chatted with us a bit and I talked with Rachel (who was in my digital tools class). I showed off my switchblade comb. And then we got down to it. He went over the syllabus and talked about objectives. We breaked for lunch early (but still it was only an hour). I sat with Karen and...tall dude who I met in the comic club's last meeting..uhh Matt maybe. Oh and a nice lady who is in my painting class, she was there as well. I shared my banana bread with said dude and we talked about stuff and comics. Before I had gone to pick up a package mom had addressed to the school AGAIN. The package was filled with awesome art goodies which were oooooed and aaaahhed over during lunch. And as it was the last of my gifts, that means it is time to make thank you cards!

Class restarted on the dot and he explained how to make and prepare plates. We cut up a couple 6"x9" plates and got to work buffing and smoothing and removing the scratches from them. That process, which still isn't really finished for most of us, took us the rest of class. I will just have to work around it. I think I will really like this class. We are allowed to pick whatever we want for our images that we print so I will finally be able to produce real work in my classes.

After class it was getting dark but I had errands to run. Swung by and bought some brushes, watercolor paper, and etching tool and some sketchbooks from Art Media. My eyes bugged when it rung up as $81 and they were kind enough to let me void the transaction and trade the brushes for ones that DIDN'T cost $30. The $40 supply run then seemed cheap. Bah.

Swung by Safeway and got some soap and sandwich bags and then went home. It was now fully dark. Relaxed when I arrived home, made the Internet rounds and ate dinner with Lindsay at our table (something we have never done before). After dinner she put on a shuffle of her music library and we got to drawing our homework. About four hours of fun and drawing later we were done. Whooo!!

Awesome second day, I must say.

No comments: