hi

hi

Monday, October 15, 2007

sand spikes and unique shapes

Tracey was in my Art History class. I remember her now. Wow.

I went to a lecture starring Allan McCollum today. I went with Matt and saw a few of the other MFA people that he knew and a few Digital Tools people that I knew. If I write a paper about the lecture I can get some bonus points, woo whoo!

It was a very good lecture. I liked how his Ginger Jar project wasn't about making art from the mockery of everyday objects, but was more of an embrace of those images. His comments about how art does end up as sort of the background in a lot of cases and it reminded me of Germany's product placement laws and how there are companies that just make fake background products for use in TV and movies. He did a lot of work about arts role in where it is considered and it wasn't hokey at all how he talked about it. I loved where he got his ideas for mass produced unique objects such as the symbolic numerical plates, the sand spikes and the folgerite casts. And he seemed genuine about how he didn't like that his mass produced work couldn't be given out the the general consumer for cheap. It had to be bought as a whole (as per museum's prattyness). I was kind of hoping he had print outs of his individual shapes for everyone in the world by 2050, and he would give us all our own individual shape. That would be awesome.

Afterwords Matt and I got some McDonald's and went back to my place and watched Heroes. Fun time!

I slept in and didn't have time for breakfast so I had to get a muffin at school. The first hour of art history is always murder, I'm never fully awake for it. I always perk up after our break and I can focus real well. I saw Jim in the morning when I got my muffin and again at break, both times he was buying coffee. I'd say it would stunt his growth but he is already full grown and tall.

Punched out one amazing print for class. Teacher couldn't tell what it was so it worked!(then Nell guessed it. I'll still get credit though). The next print still looked like what it was and I think I worked on a third picture but I don't really remember.

I forgot to put a plastic bag over my seat and so it was a little wet but not by much. Saw Mike and Mollie outside. Mike tried to say something about Tracey but it didn't come out right (religious views about death never comfort me). It was still wet so I went back inside and joined Jim, Diana and a large group of people for lunch.

A lady came out and talked about Tracy, a man sang a song for her and Michael Hall gave a little speech. I didn't know her so well but I can still feel that void and it was hard not to cry. We all sat there in silence for a while and started talking about how we knew her.

I parted ways for a little bit and talked with Lindsay upstairs and came back down and read some of the "I Saw You"'s from the free weekly the Portland Mercury (oh and read Perry Bible Fellowship. Arf Arf. hee hee). I feel like writing in a fake "I Saw You" and directing it towards Jim. "You: tall, skinny, curly hair. Me: short, thin, brown hair. Saw you on the boardwalk on 10th. I waved as you walked by me talking on your cellphone." Something like that. I dunno, funnier in my head I guess.

Darkroom was really empty, people don't really care enough about showing up for class. Tabitha dyed her hair, it looks great!

Time Arts, we watched a video from the 90's about how advertising blah blah subliminal blah bad self image. Advertising rarely makes me want to buy anything. When it came to buying mascara I just thought "which of these are advertised as having the type of eye lashes I want". Then that kind was too expensive so I got something else and it works fine.

Rose told me how I was doing in class and she said I was doing great, always on time AND she gave me some bonus points due to my animation being totally boss.

We split into groups and starting sorting out the symbology for our video project about doing visualizations of poems and whatnot. I have Megan and...ohh I forget her name. Dang it! Shes really cool too. Well yeah there are three of us and we seem to have some good ideas.

Met up with Matt after class and we headed into South Portland for the PSU lecture.

24 Hour Comic Challenge is this weekend. I just registered for it, I hope there are still spaces and that Jim, Matt, Andy and Diana are able to join me.

No comments: